cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

OneDrive for Business convert .docx to .pdf

I'm trying to create a flow that will create a .pdf version of a .docx file anytime that .docx file is modified.  I would like the .pdf to be created in the same folder.  The needs to happen in OneDrive for Business as our SharePoint is not accessible for outside partners and both the .docx and the .pdf versions of the file need to be shared with people outside our org.

I've been working at it for a while and I've currently got it almost there, except the files always retain the .docx in the name, so they all say:

filename.docx.pdf

I would really appreciate any help.  With several hundred files that will all need .docx converted (and updated) to .pdf doing each one individually is a real time suck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: OneDrive for Business convert .docx to .pdf

Hi @JonathanPayne if you have used the action "Get file metadata using path" then you have the ability to use the "name without extension" dynamic content. You can then use that to determine the file name without docx as in my example below:

PDF.PNG

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @JonathanPayne if you have used the action "Get file metadata using path" then you have the ability to use the "name without extension" dynamic content. You can then use that to determine the file name without docx as in my example below:

PDF.PNG

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JonathanPayne ,

Please refer to the following method to configure Flow.

• Use When a file is modified (properties only) as the trigger to convert the specified file.
  • Configure Create file and populate List of Files File locator in Folder Path to ensure that PDF file and Word file are in the same folder.
  • Then configure File Name and File Content output from Convert File action in the corresponding places.

Image reference:

10.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

This was really helpful.  I was able to get the file to come out as a .pdf and eliminate the file.docx.pdf issue.

The next MAJOR and more significant problem I'm having is with the file pathing.  I really need this process to be automated.  I've got 100's of files that all need updating and .pdfs to be created so executing the .pdf creation manually is still too time consuming - it works, but it's too time consuming.

I've been trying to use the file paths and I simply can't figure it out.

Any help on this part?

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (9,152)