cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cksiz
Level: Powered On

Outlook version needed for Approvals within email?

Simple questions I think...

What version of Outlook do I need in order to allow Flow Approvals to be approved/rejected from within the email, without opening a browser window to the Approvals control center?

Lots of posts indicate this is possible, but seems to be related to the version of outlook you have.

Note, I can do this via OWA.

I use Outlook 365 ProPlus 1902

10 REPLIES 10
Super User
Super User

Re: Outlook version needed for Approvals within email?

I’m not sure what the “earliest” version of outlook supported this, but it’s been around for a while.

If your users are using Office ProPlus then you should be fairly confident that they will be good. I’m pretty sure “but not 100%” that Outlook in Office 2019 also supports it. But I’d just check that.

I don’t think earlier versions of outlook (as in non-ProPlus) would support it.

Do you know versions are being used in your business and what the earliest versions are? I’d start with asset management and bring everyone up to a common standard. If nothing else, for security.

- Mark
cksiz

Our org has just done a rollout upgrade of Office to o365 ProPlus 1902, so we're all on the same version.

Yet I'm still unable to approve/reject approvals within outlook as I can on OWA.

jparis

We are on Office 365 ProPlus monthly channel (64-bit), version 1907 and we only have the options that link to the flow approval section as well.

chico

sadly, for this very reason we have electe to always use the Send email with Options instead of an "Approval"

in both cases the end user needs to leave Outlook but with the Options its a simple web page that shows there choice has been recorded.

With the "Approval" users are sent to the flow web page, sometimes they have to log in, traditional staff gets confused and turned off by the experience.

cksiz

In this video by Jon Levesque, specifically at time 25:22, he uses an outlook client to approve the request right in the email.

https://youtu.be/sVzB1wdrIKE?t=1522

I have reached out to Ed on twitter to ask how he did this, but no response yet.

Highlighted
chico

I forgot to also add;

sending email with options, also gives you tremendous freedom to use HTML and make the email pretty or if need be it can follow your internal guidelines.

Another HUGE bonus is that the Opitons Email comes from your user

Meanwhile the Approval email comes from an external email address.

That alone in some companies, is a big deal.

Super User
Super User

@cksiz 

Since you can approve items via the Outlook web client, the issue appears to be related to the Outlook desktop client.

If you go to the Office 365 Admin console and check the Service Health, you'll see there is currently an open incident that impacts the Outlook desktop app only.  I suspect that your issue may be related to this incident.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
jparis

So I wasn't fully aware of this until I saw the thread, after doing some more digging, this was an issue with our 3rd party email filter (mimecast) causing the issue. Once we whitelisted and stopped re-writing URLs from the flow address, these were showing up in OWA and Outlook desktop.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @cksiz ,

Please check this blog for more details on "allow Flow Approvals to be approved/rejected from within the email":

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/actionable-messages-approvals/

The result of my testing is that the Office 2016 Outlook client does not seem to support such a feature.

If you install Office 365 apps from the Office 365 portal, we could complete the approval request directly on Outlook client.

95.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
cksiz

Given this feature was released in 2017, I'm assuming (but can't confirm) that o365 proplus 1902 has the feature installed?

I'm still unable to get approvals embedded in emails.

I'll investigate the network firewall issue mentioned with our infrastructure team.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,100)