cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Password Protection

Hi,

What's the best practice of storing Password variables in flow? Is there a special way to treate sensive variable values?

Or we just create a service account, save the password in clear text in flow variables.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Re: Password Protection

I see.

So, the only reason to store a username and password is so that you can get the access token?

In that case, do that bit some place else. In your Flow, just have an Action that gets the current Access Token at the start then you can use that throughout.

Store the Access Token in an Azure Keyvault (preferably, or SharePoint List, or somewhere else) and then have another process that gets a new access token when the current one if due to expire. You should be able to get the expiration date / time of the token when you receive it so can plan when to renew it in good time.

The token refresh action can be manual (probably not preferred) or some other method. I am trying to think of how I would do it. I'd probably write it into an Azure Function that gets the username and password out of a Keyvault and updates it somewhere.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

This is an interesting question. My views may need some verification and confirmation.

1. Your Flows are generally protected to be viewed / edited by the Flow Owners. I’ve not checked but I’m not sure non-owners will get to edit the Flows, read the Flow definition or access the Flow run log. So, on the face of it... safe (ish). This needs to be verified whether I am right here (I’m on my phone in bed atm!)

2. What do you need a password for / to access? Flow is designed to use OAuth to authenticate against external systems so that passwords don’t need to be stored / used. My first suggestion would be to try and build a custom connector that allows you to abstract the username and password out do the Flow definition.

3. If the external system won’t allow 2. To be possible then you could store the password securely in something like an Azure Key Vault (or some other secured area) and use an action with a service account OAuth connection to get the password at run time. This may still expose the password in clear text in the Flow run log.

4. When you “use” the password (such as in a HTTP Request as I can’t think where else you’d use it) make sure you are doing it over a SSL protected connection otherwise Flow is the least of your worries.

5. Don’t store clear text passwords in Flow.

-Mark
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. My scenario is we are doing integration with Dynamic 365 using flow. The out of box Dynamic Connector for creating item doesn’t support passing connection details as variables. I am planning to call REST API through HTTP connector with the access token.

We have registered Dynamics in Azure AD. However, the HTTP Request to get the tokens needs the password and username in the request body. So I was wondering what’s the best way of handling password? The password currently is only owned and maintained by our office 365 administrator but the Flow will be accessed by developers.
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I see.

So, the only reason to store a username and password is so that you can get the access token?

In that case, do that bit some place else. In your Flow, just have an Action that gets the current Access Token at the start then you can use that throughout.

Store the Access Token in an Azure Keyvault (preferably, or SharePoint List, or somewhere else) and then have another process that gets a new access token when the current one if due to expire. You should be able to get the expiration date / time of the token when you receive it so can plan when to renew it in good time.

The token refresh action can be manual (probably not preferred) or some other method. I am trying to think of how I would do it. I'd probably write it into an Azure Function that gets the username and password out of a Keyvault and updates it somewhere.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Or you could register an App in Azure AD that has permission to D365 and use the ClientID and Secret instead of the Username and password and then lock down the permissions that App registration has.

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (8,715)