cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Populating MS Sharepoint List columns from MS Word docx

I've seen solutions on how to create ms word templates from MS sharepoint lists, but I can't seem to find a solution where you populate a MS Sharepoint list with a MS word template.

Task:
Find a solution to allow users to fill out an offline template and automate the submission to a MS sharepoint list.

Solution/Scenario:
Step 1: User submits a MS Word template.  (Either through email or a submission through MS forms attachment, it doesn't really matter)

Step 2: MS Flow picks up the file from the file location, and opens/reads the MS Word document

Step 3: Pre-defined sections of the MS Word document are posted to the Sharepoint list columns (Not as an attachment, but in the actual columns that match the MS word template sections). 

I figure for part 2 and part 3 happen, you would need to pre-define the sections in the MS word template and assign variables to it.  Then you would just take those variables and assign it to the list columns in sharepoint - i just cant find any information on how to do this through flow.

Alternative Solutions explored:

1) My current solution of using MS Forms to post to sharepoint isn't feasible because MS Forms requires a constant internet connection and has timeout issues.  

2) Attaching the word document as an attachment to the sharepoint list is possible, but this would eliminate my ability to quickly create reports from the information within the word document.

2) User could fill out a pdf file, but this requires additional licensing to get a adobe acrobat pro/writer which is an app outside of Office365 (unless there's a tool in office 365 that could do this?). If posting from MS Word to Sharepoint isn't feasible, i might just explore this option next

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get this to work?  I've been exploring the use of  "Get Sections from a DOCX" functionality (which is a paid action in flow) but I can't seem to get it to work either

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Populating MS Sharepoint List columns from MS Word docx

Thanks Jay,

I managed to figure out an alternative solution.  

I created a MS word template using quick parts for sections i wanted loaded to sharepoint, then I created matching columns in a sharepoint list.  When the user submits the form in MS Flow, the file is loaded on to a sharepoint library. The sharepoint columns in the list are then populated with the values/information located in the word template every time the user submits a word document.   The solution required parsing out the word document in MS Flow (Parse JSON).  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II

Hey @AllenH 

Have you considered using PowerApps to collect the data using offline support? -Implementing Offline Capability In Your App 

Alternatively, you could extract the data zonally from the template, the following blog post outlines how this can be achieved: Zonally extract data from documents with Power Automate

As I think you're aware from your post you can also obtain PDF Form data as well: Extracting PDF form data using Microsoft Power Automate

HTH

Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Jay,

I managed to figure out an alternative solution.  

I created a MS word template using quick parts for sections i wanted loaded to sharepoint, then I created matching columns in a sharepoint list.  When the user submits the form in MS Flow, the file is loaded on to a sharepoint library. The sharepoint columns in the list are then populated with the values/information located in the word template every time the user submits a word document.   The solution required parsing out the word document in MS Flow (Parse JSON).  

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,805)