Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ramtin
Level: Power Up

Power Automate - Approval / Rejections / Tracking / Audit

Hi,

Our organization is looking into implementing Power Automate but we have a couple of questions hoping someone could answer.

1. When a user approves or rejects a request via e-mail, where does the record go?
    • Does/Can the approval/rejection be attached to the document being reviewed?
    • Is there a log where all the approval/rejects are stored?
  2. How are audit logs for approval/rejections documented?
    • Is there versioning or a history for all users besides the history within each individual user profile?
  3. What is the recommended way to keep an audit log for a particular document?

thank you

R

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Power Automate - Approval / Rejections / Tracking / Audit

@Ramtin

Flow approvals rely on the CDS (Common Data Service) for approvals.  All information regarding an approval is stored in CDS.  While, technically, you can access that data, to the best of my knowledge doing so is neither officially documented or supported.

For an audit trail, consider writing all approval data to a SharePoint list.  Access to the audit list can be tightly controlled and versioning can be enabled.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Hi @Ramtin, in my company, as @ScottShearer suggested, we save back to the item in the document library the approve/reject decision, the name of the approver, the date of the approval and any comments made in the approval email. That way we have an audit trail of the approval specific to each document. If more than one approver is needed then we use parallel branching and in the document library have the same columns as above but named differently, e.g. Approver2, ApproveDate2 etc.

In the example below we also automatically add a next review date for 6 months ahead and a separate flow runs every day to check which documents needs reviewing and to send it to the approvers.

Come back with further questions about any of this.

0-UpdateItem.png

Rob

Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@Ramtin

Flow approvals rely on the CDS (Common Data Service) for approvals.  All information regarding an approval is stored in CDS.  While, technically, you can access that data, to the best of my knowledge doing so is neither officially documented or supported.

For an audit trail, consider writing all approval data to a SharePoint list.  Access to the audit list can be tightly controlled and versioning can be enabled.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Super User
Super User

Hi @Ramtin, in my company, as @ScottShearer suggested, we save back to the item in the document library the approve/reject decision, the name of the approver, the date of the approval and any comments made in the approval email. That way we have an audit trail of the approval specific to each document. If more than one approver is needed then we use parallel branching and in the document library have the same columns as above but named differently, e.g. Approver2, ApproveDate2 etc.

In the example below we also automatically add a next review date for 6 months ahead and a separate flow runs every day to check which documents needs reviewing and to send it to the approvers.

Come back with further questions about any of this.

0-UpdateItem.png

Rob

Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

Ramtin

thank you for your help. This has helped a lot.
Ramtin

Thank you Sir! I really appreciate the screenshot on how to record the decision.

This has made my life much easier, also thank you for offering to answer my questions. I'll be sure to make a post if I run into problems.

much respect.

Ramtin

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,862)