Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmirBakht
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Automate Daily Limits

Hi,

So I'm aware of Power Automate's daily limits listed below. However, as we are becoming more and more dependent on Flows to run our automations, the action counts are increasing quite rapidly. Specifically, scheduled flows that run a lot of data manipulation eat up a big chunk of the action quota. I'm sure we are not the only ones out there preferring Flows over windows services and the likes for such purposes. 

Usually flows run under a single service account with the appropriate permissions and accesses for manageability, which would limit us somewhere from 5'000 to 20'000 actions per day depending on licenses. 

How is every one coping with the limits? Best practices? Recommendations? Alternate approaches? We are touching limits already and I would hate to have to start moving away from flow for these complications.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config 

AmirBakht_0-1604495479794.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Jronash that would be a good solution but I think that was not possible. According to what I have been searching, there has been no such capability till a little while ago. However, I just came across an article today which may be very new or recently updated (wasn't showing up in my searches before) that says we may be looking at something similar sometime soon "will be supported once the transition period ends, during 2020 Release Wave 2"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/api-request-limits-allocations  

Capacity add-ons may be the solution to our problem but the information seems to be a bit limited. 

Capture.PNG

I will keep this topic open for now to get more suggestions and maybe more information on this upcoming support.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jronash
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

It is something we've run into as well.  It would be nice if there were an affordable way to add extra actions to an account.  Like you, we use a single service account to perform a lot of automated tasks behind the scenes.  We were brushing up against our daily limits on a regular basis.

Our options appear to be to purchase a per-flow license, which wouldn't really help in our situation because the actions are spread across many different flow, or to license a second service account, which defeats the purpose of a single service account with all the right licenses and permissions.

We ended up deleting one of our most action-heavy flows and recreating it with a Python script.  I'm not happy that we had to go in that direction, as it was nice to have all of the automation running in one place, and in a form that could be understood by everyone on our team, even those without a programming background.  But it has bought us some time as we decide how to handle this.

Ketver
Regular Visitor

Comically, I was coming on here to post this exact problem, but you fortunately beat me to it. I've created about a dozen flows, with 15 actions each, running every 5 mins. This is because the flows are crucial for updating data, so that we can address any and all issues as soon as they occur. As you can see with just this handful of flows, the licensing limits are quickly impractical.

I suppose my only option at this point is to purchase a second license for the 20,000/day limit.  Each flow only runs about 1,500 actions/day (counting office hours only), so purchasing the per flow plan is just silly and excessive. I understand the Power Platform is relatively new, but it seems a bit ridiculous that we are limited to only a couple bad options. 

@Jronash I develop myself as well, but still prefer uncoded over coded where business requirements dictate the requirements. I can understand moving integrations and such to coded, but where business requirements keep dictating changes in the solution, you need something like Flow to not only give quick changes turnaround but also be (as you mentioned) adoptable by the variety of the teams.

@Ketver the problem is, just throwing money at it doesn't solve the issue. Yes, you get extra actions per day and increase your limit, but consider this,

• You will need to split your extensive flows into multiple to split the action count
  • You will need to manage permissions for each of the new licensed accounts 
  • You will have to manage security and risk for the new accounts
  • You will have to manage access for each of the new accounts, who owns them and who can access them
  • You will have to manage how each account is spread out between flows and any other solution they may be used in
  • You are spending more and now suddenly have even more tasks and risks added to your plate 
AmirBakht
Helper IV
Helper IV

Anyone else with any other ideas? No one here seem to be happy with their current situation.

Jronash
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Is it possible to purchase multiple 'Power Apps and Power Automate capacity add-on' licenses and apply all of them to a single user?

@Jronash @AmirBakht this may sound like a really stupid question, but how do you check how close you are to your daily usage limit?

@Jronash that would be a good solution but I think that was not possible. According to what I have been searching, there has been no such capability till a little while ago. However, I just came across an article today which may be very new or recently updated (wasn't showing up in my searches before) that says we may be looking at something similar sometime soon "will be supported once the transition period ends, during 2020 Release Wave 2"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/api-request-limits-allocations  

Capacity add-ons may be the solution to our problem but the information seems to be a bit limited. 

Capture.PNG

I will keep this topic open for now to get more suggestions and maybe more information on this upcoming support.

View solution in original post

@Paulie78 this should get you the information https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/billing-questions but for me it only shows activity.

Instead, you could click on a flow and go to its analytics to see its usage, that is premium though.

If you go to the power automate admin center and click usage, you should be able to see more flow analytics https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/analytics/flow 

Jon7

Hi-

We purchased the "Power Apps and Power Automate capacity add-on" through the O365 admin portal.

Does anyone know how to apply these new licenses to a user?

Thanks!

GhitaFjorback
Advocate I
Advocate I

Would it maybe be an idea to use Power Automate Desktop. I am quite sure the "action" starting PAD flow will be only 1 action, and then in the PAD you can have all the actions running and only count for 1. Just an idea, I have not tried this myself. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,096)