cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
odl001

Power Automate Error: ActionFailed. An action failed. No dependent actions succeeded.

I have inherited someone's flow, and it is throwing some errors in one of its decision branches. The workflow is quite simple and has something to do with a submission which requires multiple approvals. One of the approvals is showing "ActionFailed. An action failed. No dependent actions succeeded." and it is taking the wrong update into a Sharepoint field.

Can someone assist as I couldn't really figure out what went wrong?

odl001_0-1653376424013.png

odl001_1-1653376431563.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Wow that is the biggest set of parallel actions I've ever seen ... 

Uhhh, yeah, I think it's the update happening in the circle on the left that's causing the action in the circle on the right to fail. 

A delay - maybe, that would be a good stop-gap - but ultimately I'd recommend (and of course this would depend on the full outputs of your flow) - to change this into a bunch of switch states rather than parallel. I'm also curious on why there's a parallel update of the same SharePoint item - I think a lot could be trimmed down here (but I know you've inherited the flow, this isn't on you!) 

R

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I'm seeing a Bad Request on that SharePoint Update - can you show us the error on the Flow Overview page?  It should show up on the right hand side, under Error Details. 

Thanks for your response @Rhiassuring 
Here are the raw input and output for your reference:

odl001_0-1653454607871.png

odl001_1-1653454634734.png

Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

So, it's telling us that something else is trying to update this same item at the same time.

From your initial screenshot, it looks like a loooot of parallel actions. Are any other actions trying to update or interact with this same item in any way?

Yes @Rhiassuring. There are 7 approval branches and 2 conditional branches. I think the other conditional branch is updating the same item. Do you think putting a delay on this conditional branch would help solve the issue?

odl001_0-1653455025066.png

Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Wow that is the biggest set of parallel actions I've ever seen ... 

Uhhh, yeah, I think it's the update happening in the circle on the left that's causing the action in the circle on the right to fail. 

A delay - maybe, that would be a good stop-gap - but ultimately I'd recommend (and of course this would depend on the full outputs of your flow) - to change this into a bunch of switch states rather than parallel. I'm also curious on why there's a parallel update of the same SharePoint item - I think a lot could be trimmed down here (but I know you've inherited the flow, this isn't on you!) 

R

Thanks @Rhiassuring , the 7 parallel actions don't actually involve a Sharepoint update rather, they just trigger an email notification. The 2 conditional branches are the ones making updates to the Sharepoint list item. I'll try to add a delay in the second branch and see how it goes. Thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it.

@Rhiassuring what do you think of this?

odl001_0-1653456032786.png

Rhiassuring
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I think that'll probably solve your problem for now 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (1,660)