cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Automate Flow Permissions when using PowerApps Trigger to Initiate Flow

Hello,

I have a Flow that uses a PowerApps trigger to update multiple items in multiple Sharepoint Lists when the user selects a button in the the PowerApp.  When I test this by selecting the button, all actions in the PowerApp execute, including the trigger that executes the Flow.  However, I have shared this App with another user.  When he selects the button, the flow does not execute.  I am guessing that this is a permissions issue, but I am unable to solve it.  I have tried giving the user co-owner and edit permissions, but it still does not work.  (It did work for a few runs initially, but then stopped working.)  Do you know how to have the flow execute when a user selects the button?  Or do I have to find a work around?  If so, do you have any suggestions.

Thank you,

CNI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

I believe that you might be using certain connectors or services that you have access to but the team does not. Also, you might want to check if there are any Approvals or Time bound actions (like delays or nested loops) and check if those are working as expected. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
yashag2255
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you share screenshot of the error you are seeing? 

Note that all the actions in the Flow triggered by a Power Apps control will use the connection of the user that is triggering the flow from the Power App. 

If you are seeing an error like: "

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'XYZ' inputs at line 'A' and column 'Z': 'The template language expression 'json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$connections']['shared_xyz']['connectionId']' cannot be evaluated because property 'shared_xy' doesn't exist, available properties are 'shared_xy, shared_xz'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

You might have to remove the flow from the Power App and then re-register it as this is one of the most common errors with Flows triggered from Power Apps that occurs when you add an action to the flow after adding the flow to the Power App. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @yashag2255 ,

Thank you for your reply.  I have not been getting an error.  The Power App is working as well as the flow.  The flow is currently set up with my connections only.  This must be why it is not working based on your note.  This leaves a few questions:

(1) If I have 20 users all using this app, does this mean I have to add each user to each and every connection in the flow?

(2) Do I need to give all the users 'co-owner' or edit access in both the PowerApp and the Flow?  I would like to give them user permissions, but I would like to reserve 'co-owner' or edit permissions to my development team.

Thank you for your help!

CNI

Hi @Anonymous 

No. You do not have to create any connection as such for the users. You just have to share the app with them and you can select the user permission. 

When the users launch the app for the first time, the connection request is done for the user and once they authorize, the connectors get authenticated with the users permissions automatically. You might want to check the access to SharePoint/ CDS or the data sources and the connectors and confirm that the users actually have access to those. 

Hope this Helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @yashag2255 ,

Thank you again!  I really appreciate your help.  I will need to work with my IT/Admin team to check the permissions for each user.  Right now as it sits, when I initially gave user permission for the app, the Flow ran for 1-2 days after when the users (or myself) were doing actions in the Power App.  However, then it suddenly stopped.  Then, I removed the Flow Connection from the Power App and then added it again.  It worked for 1 more day and then stopped again.  This put me on the path of permissions for the users because it seems that the PowerApp and Flow are both working.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you,

CNI 

Hi @Anonymous 

I believe that you might be using certain connectors or services that you have access to but the team does not. Also, you might want to check if there are any Approvals or Time bound actions (like delays or nested loops) and check if those are working as expected. 

Hope this Helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @yashag2255 ,

Thank you again!  I will check these things and post if I cannot figure it out.

CNI

TedBabcock
Advocate II
Advocate II

Not sure if your issue was resolved. As I understand it, SharePoint requires explicit permissions: the users of an app that accesses SharePoint must themselves have permission to the SP site. 

There is a way around this if you don’t want to give users permission to the SP site, besides row-level permissions, which doesn’t work in all cases. The solution is to use two flows: a parent flow, triggered in PowerApps and given any needed parameters, which issues an HTTP request to a child flow, triggered “when an HTTP request is received.” The child flow accesses SharePoint with your credentials, performs the needed CRUD operations, returns any output to the parent flow, which returns the output to PowerApps.

Only the parent flow is a data source in the PowerApp. The child flow doesn’t even know of the existence of the PowerApp and its users, so they do not need permission to the SP site. 

The same process solves the problem of “implicit sharing,” when a data source that does not require explicit permission, such as SQL Server, is implicitly shared with the app’s user. Not only the tables and views accessed in the app, but everything in the entire SQL database. This huge security hole is plugged by the parent-child flow process. 

Thanks very much - this helped me a lot to get over several cases where I faced similar permission issues, like setting user permissions on a Dataverse envirnment or sending mail from shared mailbox where the triggering user account doesn't have send as permissions. Really cool!

sastrakhan
Regular Visitor

The approach I needed was leveraging Power Automate's "Run Only Users" feature, which is limited to certain kinds of triggers but nonetheless allowed the Flows to be run from the Flow owner's credentials instead of the trigger User.  Saved us from having to find every place the user needed permissions. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (6,052)