cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKenny599

Power Automating a formula to Excel table

Hello,

This may be a long-shot but I'm wondering if someone can tell me if this is possible. I apologize if this sounds convoluted.

I am using a number of Microsoft Forms to get information from colleagues, I have Flows set up to pull the various responses into tables on one Excel sheet. This means that when a new response is submitted, a new row is added to the corresponding table. Which is where my problem lay. I need to apply a formula to one of the columns in each of the tables, however, when I type it in the first cell and drag it down, so that it applies to all other cells in that column, my Flow reads those cells as containing data and appends the new data from the form to a new row below all of the ones with formulas.

Is there a way to create a flow so that when a new row of data is added to a table, the flow will then apply the formula to the new data in the appropriate column?

Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I would use the graph API for this. A while back I wrote a blog post about how to update formulas in Excel with Power Automate. 

With this method you don't need to use tables, but you could if you wanted to.

https://sharepains.com/2020/08/04/populate-excel-template-power-automate/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I would use the graph API for this. A while back I wrote a blog post about how to update formulas in Excel with Power Automate. 

With this method you don't need to use tables, but you could if you wanted to.

https://sharepains.com/2020/08/04/populate-excel-template-power-automate/

Thank you for responding. I read through your post and I'm not sure that that is what I am looking for exactly. I am more looking for something along the lines of:

When a new response is submitted -> Get response details -> Add row into a table -> (and then here is the part I am struggling with) When new row added apply X formula to new data in Y column.

Does that make sense?

That doesn't exist in the connector.  The connector has its limitations. Hence the escape towards the Graph API options.

MKenny599

Thank you again for your response. I ended up finding a way that doesn't involve putting it in a flow, but I will bookmark your blog for future issues!

I'm needing to do exactly as you describe. What was your alternate solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

Users online (3,692)