cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saan
Helper III
Helper III

Power automate - Populate word document (dynamically specify the file path) - Variables not showing

Hello All,

Need help on below, kind of urgent. Thanks in advance!!!

My actual post (yesterday posted) : https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Power-automate-Populate-word-document-Var...unable to reply on same post so posing again.

I have created a flow When ever item created in share point it triggers.
I have one list and one docuemnt library with templates (templates have variables as well).
1. Vendorlist (Countryname is a file) - List
2. Vendor with County name library(Countryname is a choice file) - Docuement library

When ever some one creates a entry in Vendor list the flow checks in the docuemnt library with the country name which matches and get the template. Am getting file with the below action. Variable Countryname is the field from Vendor list.

Saan_0-1601007136651.png

once I get the file template which has inbuilt variables. I want to populate these variables with some of the field information from the Vendor list.

Saan_1-1601007136655.png

For this populating am using the action called populate word template.

If I hard code the template am getting all the variables which were in that template.

Saan_2-1601007136658.png

but if am looking for dynamically look up with the country name to get the file, am unable to populate the variables like below.

Saan_3-1601007136661.png

When I click Add new parameter am unable to see any variables. that bind to the template. By the way in that docuemnt library all the templates have same set of variables with different template names.

Appreciate your help!!!

Thanks,

Saan

1 REPLY 1
yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Saan 

You cannot pass the name of the file as dynamic. In the Populate a Word Template action from the Word online connector, it is required that the file is navigated to from the action itself for the dynamic content to load. 

If you think this should be added as a feature, you can create an idea post or upvote similar existing ones here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas

You can however, use third party connectors like Projectum/ Plumsail that allow you to pass a json payload with the key value pairs corresponding to the data fields of the word template. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (946)