cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freswood
Level: Powered On

PowerBINotAuthorizedException error

Hi there,

I've been trying to set up a flow that will send an email to a distribution list when a Power BI alert is triggered. I've been using the template called 'Send an e-mail to any audience when a Power BI data alert is triggered'. When I try to create the flow I get the error 'PowerBINotAuthorizedException'. 

Microsoft Flow is able to read my alerts from Power BI (ie the alert names are appearing in a drop down) so it's clearly connecting to it. Once the flow is set up and I click on it, there's an error message to fix the trigger. When I click on it, it outputs the below detailed error message:

{
"statusCode"401,
"headers": {
"Pragma""no-cache",
"Retry-After""600",
"Strict-Transport-Security""max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains",
"X-Frame-Options""deny",
"X-Content-Type-Options""nosniff",
"RequestId""71d3b2f8-f444-433e-b2ab-352c5c194a56",
"Access-Control-Expose-Headers""RequestId",
"Timing-Allow-Origin""*",
"x-ms-apihub-cached-response""false",
"Cache-Control""no-store, must-revalidate, no-cache",
"Date""Wed, 11 Sep 2019 04:58:29 GMT",
"Content-Length""220",
"Content-Type""application/json"
},
"body": {
"error": {
"code""PowerBINotAuthorizedException",
"pbi.error": {
"code""PowerBINotAuthorizedException",
"parameters": {},
"details": [],
"exceptionCulprit"1
}
}
}
}

I originally posted this with links to screenshots but for whatever reason it was marked as spam. I suspect it's due to the links. I'm reposting again without the screenshots, so hopefully there's enough info to help troubleshoot! Thank you so much in advance for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
sam_revak

Re: PowerBINotAuthorizedException error

@freswood Share the dashboard with yourself in Power BI:

share dashboard.pngThen everything should work within Flow. This is assuming you have the access to share the dashboard within Power BI. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @freswood ,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow and the error message?

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

freswood

Hi Alice,

Thanks so much for your reply! Below are some screenshots, but please let me know if I've missed anything. Thank you so much for your help!

Flow1.PNGFlow2.PNGFlow3.PNG

fycasiano

angw19

I'm having the same issue. Existing flows are fine, but all new flows are giving the unauthorized error. Any updates?

sam_revak

I ran into the same issue today. Between the error message and taking a peek at the code I took a long shot and tried sharing the report with myself. This fixed the issue in my case (or Microsoft just resolved things at the same time). 

That may work as a temporary workaround until the bug gets resolved and it's a pretty easy thing to test. 

Also maybe worth noting, my dashboard is in an old workspace, not a new workspace. Not sure if that maybe makes a difference?

angw19

Sharing the report and dashboard with myself solved the issue. Bizarre, but happy to have a workaround until it's really fixed!

Thank you for posting your findings!

freswood

Hi @sam_revak, how do you share the report with yourself? Below is a screenshot of what it looks like when I click on 'Share' before making any changes. I'm already the owner, so when I search for myself in the search box and click on my name, it doesn't seem to do anything. Apologies if this is a silly question - I'm brand new to Flow.

Flow Share.PNG

Highlighted
sam_revak

@freswood Share the dashboard with yourself in Power BI:

share dashboard.pngThen everything should work within Flow. This is assuming you have the access to share the dashboard within Power BI. 

View solution in original post

freswood

That worked! Thank you so much!

djiskra
Level: Power Up

I ran into the exact same error today. Shared the dashboard with myself but still getting the PowerBINotAuthorizedException error.

Tried deleting and recreating the Flow, dashboard tile, and Power BI alert, re-sharing, same error

angw19

I had to share both the dashboard and the report with myself for it to work. Just sharing the dashboard didn't work for me.

djiskra

Thanks, angw19. I just also shared the report with myself, deleted and re-created the flow and same error.

thefal

I'm having the same problem. Sharing the report and dashboard with myself doesn't solve the problem. The weird thing is, when I made the flow, it worked. Now, 3 weeks later, I'm getting this error.

When i try to recreate the flow from scratch, I'm still getting the same error.

Edit: I fixed the error by triggering the alert within Power BI before making the flow. My alert wouldn't actually trigger because the conditions were not met, so I first set my treshold so high that it HAD to trigger. After it triggered, I set it back to its intended value and made the Flow. This method works consistently for me.

AlbertoGlzr

do you resolve the issue?  i have same here 😞 

Anotación 2019-10-23 082451.png

freswood

The post marked as the solution worked perfectly for me. You just need to share the Power BI dashboard with yourself - bit weird but it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 314 members 3,660 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: