cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twiggman
Level: Powered On

Probem with DisplayName

While working in a "Start an Approval" section of my workflow I attempt to put the DisplayName of a people field in the Details section.  When I do this the section changed to a "Apply to Each" section.  Very frustrating.  I just want to put the display name of a person in the Details.

I tried a workaround by calculating the display name to text in a calculated field.  Works well in the list, but when I pick that field to display in the details section it is blank, though there is data there in the list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Probem with DisplayName

Hi @twiggman,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about the Person field that you mentioned? Is it a Person or Group type column in your SharePoint list?

Further, do you have enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option for the People field in your SharePoint list?

I suppose that the People field that you mentioned is a Person or Group type column in your SharePoint list and you have enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option for this column, is it true?

I have made a test on my side, if you have enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option for the Person or Group type column in a SharePoint list, when select the DisplayName dynamic content of the Person column, the "Apply to each" action would be added automatically. Because the Person column dynamic content returned is an array rather than an object.

You could consider take a try to disable the "Allow multiple selections" option for the Person column in your SharePoint list, then edit your flow and re-choose the DisplayName dynamic content of the person column. After that, try your flow again to check if the issue is solved.

If you want to enable the "Allow multiple selections" option for the Person column in your SharePoint list and want to put the DisplayName dynamic content of the Person column into the Details field of the "Start an approval" action, I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When an item is created" trigger, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a "Variables"-> "Initialize variable" action, Name set to AllDisplayName, Type set to String and Value set to empty.
  • Add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to Executor dynamic content of the trigger. Within "Apply to each" action, add a "Compose" action, Inputs field set to following formula:
concat(item()?['DisplayName'],';',variables('AllDisplayName'))

Add a "Set variable" action, Name choose AllDisplayName, Value set to output of the "Compose" action.

Note: The Executor column is a Person or Group type column in my SharePoint list, which has enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option.7.JPG

• Under "Apply to each" action, add a "Start an approval" action. Details field set to AllDisplayName variable.

Image reference:5.JPG

6.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:

8.JPG

9.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Probem with DisplayName

Hi @twiggman,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about the Person field that you mentioned? Is it a Person or Group type column in your SharePoint list?

Further, do you have enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option for the People field in your SharePoint list?

I suppose that the People field that you mentioned is a Person or Group type column in your SharePoint list and you have enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option for this column, is it true?

I have made a test on my side, if you have enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option for the Person or Group type column in a SharePoint list, when select the DisplayName dynamic content of the Person column, the "Apply to each" action would be added automatically. Because the Person column dynamic content returned is an array rather than an object.

You could consider take a try to disable the "Allow multiple selections" option for the Person column in your SharePoint list, then edit your flow and re-choose the DisplayName dynamic content of the person column. After that, try your flow again to check if the issue is solved.

If you want to enable the "Allow multiple selections" option for the Person column in your SharePoint list and want to put the DisplayName dynamic content of the Person column into the Details field of the "Start an approval" action, I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When an item is created" trigger, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a "Variables"-> "Initialize variable" action, Name set to AllDisplayName, Type set to String and Value set to empty.
  • Add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to Executor dynamic content of the trigger. Within "Apply to each" action, add a "Compose" action, Inputs field set to following formula:
concat(item()?['DisplayName'],';',variables('AllDisplayName'))

Add a "Set variable" action, Name choose AllDisplayName, Value set to output of the "Compose" action.

Note: The Executor column is a Person or Group type column in my SharePoint list, which has enabled the "Allow multiple selections" option.7.JPG

• Under "Apply to each" action, add a "Start an approval" action. Details field set to AllDisplayName variable.

Image reference:5.JPG

6.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:

8.JPG

9.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,789)