cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmfly
Level: Powered On

Problems when creating flow on discussion board

Hi everyone, 

I am creating a flow on discussion board. I met 2 problems here. If anyone could answer the questions, that would be a lot of help. (sorry I am not able to attch the picture)

1. using "Update item"  in flow.

The "Subject" column seems to be mandatory when flow retrieve an item. I just want to use "ID" to retrieve an item. How can I move the "Subject" column away?

In "Site setting", 'Subject' column displays in both content type of discussion and message. this column can't be removed but can be set to optional and hidden. So my discussion board doesn't display 'Subject' in any view.

2. when setting up the view on discussion board

If I define the view by selecting columns, I can see 4 subject columns as you can see in the pic. What's the difference? Which one should I choose? Are they all default columns?

subject

Subject (linked to item with edit menu)

Subject (linked to item with edit menu) (old)

Subject (linked to item)

3. can't add a SharePoint list or library as owner

If I want to share flow to other user/group, I don't have the option to add a SharePoint list or library as owner. But my other flows have that option.

8 REPLIES 8
cmfly

Re: Problems when creating flow on discussion board

Please refer to this picture.

Thanks.

flow discussion board.png

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @cmfly ,

I have made a test on my side for your issues.

For the first question, I’m afraid you can’t remove the ‘Subject’ column when use the Update item action, as the field is a default setting of discussion board list.

For the second question, you should use the first ‘Subject’, because just the first one has value, the others are empty.

Last question, please make sure the Trigger is about SharePoint. Only when the trigger is related to SharePoint, you can add a SharePoint list or library as owner.

Best Regards,

Zhongys

cmfly

Hi @v-zhos-msft ,

Thank you so much for answing my questions.

For the first question, considering the 'Subject' filed is default setting, does that mean 'Subject' filed should be mandatory filed when I set up the content type columns?

For the last question, the trigger of this flow is "For a selected item" related to sharepoint. And flow type is instant.

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @cmfly ,

When you create a new discuission, as the pic shown the 'Subject' is mandatory filed.

Capture1.PNG

I have made a flow with the trigger 'For a selected item', and it has the option to add a SharePoint list or library as owner.

Capture2.PNG

Best Regards

Zhongys

cmfly

@v-zhos-msft 

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay.

For the 3rd question, I have created another flow for discussion board. It's owner can be selected as sharepoint.

But my previous flow still has no this option. It's so tricky, I can't find out the reason. The two flows seems no difference.

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @cmfly ,

It is strange for that.

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

I suggest you rebuild the flow for a try.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

cmfly

Hi @v-zhos-msft 

It seems I have found the reason. I have done the test on the same flow.

When editing the flow, if I set the list name as the format "235ffff--xxxxxx", I can select sharepoint to share as owner.

If I set the list name like "Sizing... ", it won't allow me to select sharepoint as owner.

Please let me know if that's default setting for flow of discussion board.

ID and owner.pngname and permission.png

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @cmfly ,

I have made some tests on my side.

I found that when we use the normal list in the 'For a selected item', you can select sharepoint to share as owner.

When we use the other list (like: Tasks list,discussion board list), you can't select sharepoint to share as owner.

Capture7.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,052)