cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggoodnight
Helper I
Helper I

Problems with Visual Studio Online create new work item.

I am having an issue with creating a new "User Story" via the Visual Studio Online app.  I am able to create bugs just fine, but as of 7/12 I can no longer create a user story.  Has anyone else experience this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi all - there was an issue in an update to the VSTS connector that has since been resolved. Please try it out now and let us know if you're still hitting the issue!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Laskewitz
MVP

@ggoodnight Could you try and get the error details from the Flow that doesn't run properly? You can find the error details in the Run History in your Flow detail screen. Click that failed run, and you'll see it on the right side of the screen under "Failure summary".

fail.jpg

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Laskewitz
MVP

@ggoodnight: I think I know what's wrong:

When I try, I get the same results. I'm able to create a bug, but a User Story isn't working. I looked at my VSTS project and I saw the following:

vsts.jpg

It kinda makes sence that I'm able to create a bug and not a User Story, because a User Story is not available. What doesn't make sense is the following: 

I don't see a type "Product Backlog Item" in the type dropdown in Flow! And that's probably something that should be there...

workitem.jpg

The connector is still in preview, so it's not wise to use it in production, but maybe they will change this before the "preview"-label gets removed.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Under my back log dropdown I have both "User Story" and "Bug" listed in Visual Studio Online (VSO), I think that list is customizable, at any rate it was working, and as of 7/12 it is no longer working.  Also another interesting item is the “Create a work item” task in Flow is listing “UserStory” instead of “User Story” (with a space).  The actual VSO WebApi requires the type to have a space, so this appears to be wrong from the onset, which I am loading the type with a dynamic in my Flow anyway.  Basically the error I get when the flow fails is “Invalid Request” with a request ID, which is less than helpful, and not exactly Restful, but I digress.

I agree something in preview shouldn't probably be used in production, but we are a small dev firm and I just didn't have the time to write my own interface around it.  I have however made some progress today with a workaround to the issue.  Basically all work item types create successfully except "User Story".  So what I have done is created a “Feature” work item type instead of “User Story”.  Then I have a PowerShell script which runs every so often and changes the “Features” to “User Stories” via the VSO WebApi.  Kind of a convoluted workaround, but at least it works for us.

Maybe @merwan knows who's responsible for the connector. Sounds like it's a bug....

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi all - there was an issue in an update to the VSTS connector that has since been resolved. Please try it out now and let us know if you're still hitting the issue!

View solution in original post

Yep that did the trick!  Thanks for the fix!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,807)