Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demondan
Helper I
Helper I

Published powerapp uses flow to send email and fails

Hi

I am having issues and don't really know how to go about identifying where the problem is.  I have developed a powerapp which on clicking a button runs a flow.  The flow adds an item into sharepoint (this works!) and then sends a confirmation email out (using 'send an email from shared mailbox').  The app works fully as expected for me however when i've published and shared the app with a colleague for a test (i've given them access to the app), the flow only partially works.  The item is added into sharepoint but the confirmation email does not go out.  When I check the run history of the flow, it just says failed.

Since it works fine for me and the run history is almost useless, I really dont know how to work out what is falling over?  Any ideas?  Since I am using a shared mailbox, I set the connection up using the credentials for the shared mailbox within the flow.  Could it be that that mailbox shared credentials is missing when someone else tries to run it?

Thank you!

Dan

ps I am experimenting with using the built in 'send an email notification' which will hopefully work if the issue as above is because I am trying to make it work using a shared mailbox.  I am fine with using this if it fixes the issue however is there anyway to get rid of the from address being 'Microsoft Power aps and Power automate.....' etc and change it to ideally what I would like it to say e.g. noreply@domain.com or even just something more discrete.  I don't need people to be able to reply to the notification, I just want it to look half decent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,
Unfortunately I have not found a way around this.
You will either:
1) have to give everyone access to the shared mailbox
2) if you have a action in your flow that can be split up. For example if you have a action that creates a item in a SharePoint list. Than you can setup another Flow with trigger When a SharePoint item gets created.
This was it will use your connection.

Like I said previously I have not found a way around this. When a Flow is being triggered by PowerApps it seems to use the connections of the user in the App that clicked the button.

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
abm
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @demondan 

Could you please post the error details? Also make sure your colleague have permission in shared mail box.

Thanks

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @demondan

I have come across this issue, and it has been both good and bad in certain situations.

It seems that if a Flow is triggered by PowerApps it uses the Connection of the user who is in the App

This can be verified when a user opens the app for the first time, it asks them to allow all the connections in the Power App. But it is also asking for the connections to be used for flow as well.

My good situations:
Flow sends email to support team if flow fails at a certain part.
The flow sends the email from the user who triggered the flow from the button in the power app. Which is good cause we can easily reply to the email and the user is in the loop of the errors.

My bad situations:
I was helping a colleague with a app and flow that users needed to be added to a Group for permissions. So on the click of a button for Request Access.

Even though the flow has the connection of the person who built the flow, which is an owner of the group.

The flow fails for all users who trigger it because it try’s to add them to the group using their connection..

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Hi

I didn't realise there was more to the error details than status failed.  I've just found the error details 🙂

It says Action 'Send_an_email_from_a_shared_mailbox_(V2)' failed, specified folder not found.  I am using a shared mailbox and the credentials for the shared mailbox - or at least trying to, my hope is for much of my company to use this app, not sure I feel comfortable to give them all access to the mailbox?  Is that what we need to do?

What Jcook has said feels like it makes sense but how do I use the connection I've setup?

Thanks

Dan

Hi,
Unfortunately I have not found a way around this.
You will either:
1) have to give everyone access to the shared mailbox
2) if you have a action in your flow that can be split up. For example if you have a action that creates a item in a SharePoint list. Than you can setup another Flow with trigger When a SharePoint item gets created.
This was it will use your connection.

Like I said previously I have not found a way around this. When a Flow is being triggered by PowerApps it seems to use the connections of the user in the App that clicked the button.

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (43,863)