cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IU_1

Question on keeping a file type when transferring to one drive

Hi all,

My team was recently attempting to pull excel files from a reoccurring email release to a onedrive folder. Some of our teammates would then reference these folders through power bi for our reporting. I've set up workflow that moves a file from outlook using "when a new email arrives v3", "Get Attachment V2", and "create file"; however, when the file is moved to one drive it is in a general "file" format and no longer an excel.

Does anyone know of a method to perform this while still ensuring the onedrive transfer remains as an excel instead of a generalized "file" version? 

Thanks for any assistance and direction that can be provided! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It seems that the filename is missing the file extension (such as .xlsx, docx and pdf etc), hence the generic file type you are seeing in OneDrive. You are probably saving the file with Filename only - without the file extension.

Can you share screenshots of the flow? The flow would resemble something like this:

Snag_22548ef8.png

Just change the condition to check for xlsx file type:

Snag_2256488f.png

Ellis

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ekarim2020
Super User
Super User

See: How to save PDF email attachments to OneDrive for Business using Power Automate but change the file extension to xlsx.

Ellis

Thanks! @ekarim2020 appreciate your inputs and blog link. Actually, I'm looking to Upload directly to OneDrive, not via email attachment.

Are you able to share the flow?  I dont think I have understood the problem.

Ellis

amitlalms
Microsoft
Microsoft

Here is the flow I'm building...Need a file in OneDrive to load to trigger, if not uploaded in 10min. it will terminate.  

amitlalms_0-1641237302012.png

ekarim2020
Super User
Super User

@IU_1 wrote:

Hi all,

My team was recently attempting to pull excel files from a reoccurring email release to a onedrive folder. Some of our teammates would then reference these folders through power bi for our reporting. I've set up workflow that moves a file from outlook using "when a new email arrives v3", "Get Attachment V2", and "create file"; however, when the file is moved to one drive it is in a general "file" format and no longer an excel.

Does anyone know of a method to perform this while still ensuring the onedrive transfer remains as an excel instead of a generalized "file" version? 

Thanks for any assistance and direction that can be provided! 

@amitlalms  I'm still none the wiser about the issue. Is your issue relate to the initial post above?

@amitlalms  Is your Power Apps running a flow to create a file in OneDrive? Some thing like:

ekarim2020_1-1641241823209.png

Or, perhaps you need a flow that is triggered when a new file is created in OneDrive?

ekarim2020_0-1641241685357.png

Ellis

Thank you for the assistance! However, I still seem to be running into the issue where what is actually being uploaded into onedrive is just an item listed as file instead of an xlsx version. Is there a way for the uploaded version to be in the from of the original attachment (in this case an xlsx) or will power automate always default to the generic "file" file type? 

Image below shows how these arrive in onedrive:

IU_1_0-1641307267931.png

It seems that the filename is missing the file extension (such as .xlsx, docx and pdf etc), hence the generic file type you are seeing in OneDrive. You are probably saving the file with Filename only - without the file extension.

Can you share screenshots of the flow? The flow would resemble something like this:

Snag_22548ef8.png

Just change the condition to check for xlsx file type:

Snag_2256488f.png

Ellis

Thank you for the above solution!

You were correct and it looks like the issue was that I was missing the "attachment name" field at the end of "file name" section on the "create file" step. 

Everything seems to be working now, thanks!

IU_1_0-1641311768727.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

Users online (2,995)