cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_jason
Helper I
Helper I

Questions about Power Automate Approval Flow

I am quite new to Power Automate. Would appreciate if anyone could answer the following questions.

1. Is there a limitation on how long a flow can run? What will happen if a flow is expired?

2. Is there an expiration on the duration of an approval? If an approval is expired or timed out, could user still respond to the corresponding approval email?

3. Is there a way to cancel an approval in the flow, in which the approval is created using the "Start and wait for an approval" or "Start an approval" activity?

4. Is there a way to hide "Requested by" in the approval email?

5. What is the best practice to send out approval reminders?

-- Send out a plan email after some interval, OR time out the 1st approval first after some interval and send the 2nd approval?

2 REPLIES 2
jinivthakkar
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@_jason  Let me try answering your questions:

1. Is there a limitation on how long a flow can run? What will happen if a flow is expired? - Yes there is a limitation and the flow can run max upto 30 days.

2. Is there an expiration on the duration of an approval? If an approval is expired or timed out, could user still respond to the corresponding approval email? - Yes there is a limitation and the flow can run max upto 30 days, but you could add an action which would run on expired or timed out, the user will not be able to respond to approval email after expiry or timeout.

3. Is there a way to cancel an approval in the flow, in which the approval is created using the "Start and wait for an approval" or "Start an approval" activity? - You can reject the flow, else from the backend, you can select the instance and cancel any specific instance which is in progress.

4. Is there a way to hide "Requested by" in the approval email? - No.

5. What is the best practice to send out approval reminders? - I prefer emails after some interval over start approvals unless the user wants to approve on the email itself.

-- Send out a plan email after some interval, OR time out the 1st approval first after some interval and send the 2nd approval?

Check out this tutorial by Reza, Approval Flows Cookbook which will help you with all other details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZnI0_atYUo&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiFUGTtwSwFT79Y7_jq_Aipe

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@jinivthakkar Thanks much for your reply.

I have created an approval using the "Start and wait for an approval" activity where the Timeout is set to 30 seconds.

I have received the approval email.

After 30 seconds, the "Start and wait for an approval" activity is timed out and the next activity is executed.

However, I can still click on Approve/Reject on the approval email.

Is it a known problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (55,487)