cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mogulman
Level 8

Recommendations on How to Start With Flow.

I'm just getting started with Flow.  I've created an Azure SQL DB to hold data and created a partial Powerapp to enter/edit data.  

Application

The application involves the process of making a trade.  It requires numerous steps.  I have a table where each row describes the trade and numerous checkboxes to record the progress.  My desire would be to:

1. Some trigger in Powerapps to start flow.
2. Create a Task record with step info (trade name, step name, assigned to, due date etc).  Make sure task hasn't been previously created before creating it.
3. Have Task record trigger sending an email to appropriate party.
4. User marks task as completed.
5. Flow updates appropriate trade record checkbox that step is complete.
6. This triggers next step in flow.

I initially thought I could use triggers to create task and update trade record but I found out Powerapps doesn't support triggers on SQL Server DBs.

I may be thinking about this all wrong.  How should I approach this?

3 REPLIES 3
leyburn19
Level 10

Re: Recommendations on How to Start With Flow.

1. Some trigger in Powerapps to start flow.  Select Action Menu > Flow and then Add New Flow This will take you to Flow with a trigger created as Power Apps.  When the flow is built and saved it will list in the flows box.  To add to a button or just highlight the button and click the flow to add.  Careful - If you have other fuction on teh button it will overwrite them all.  In this case add a temp new button to add your flow and copy and paste into the other button

2. Create a Task record with step info (trade name, step name, assigned to, due date etc).  Make sure task hasn't been previously created before creating it.  I assume this is based on data inputted into PowerApps view?  This needs to be checked before saving,  If there is to be a unique value to a particular field then use this in the database structure and saving will automatically give you the error.  Using flow to do this would require a condition step. This might prove complex but would be based on the variable created after you complete all steps and run the flow in power apps. More on the variables at the end

If condition is met then add an action "create item" - this will come from teh action list based on your DB type.  I use SharePoint so this term   exists in the SP action list

Create Item will now request you connect to the DB and then select the table to get the new item.

Once connected you will get a list of fields appearing.  In each field put "ask in powerapps" from the dynamic content box that has apppeared. This now will create a variable container back in powerapps when you run the flow. Make sure the unique field gets this.  You use this to be the variable the condition I mention earlier.  If there is a match then the action we just created will not run and the condition will use the false section

3. Have Task record trigger sending an email to appropriate party.
Add a new action and select outlook as the action.  There will be a send email option.  Shoudl be obvious now what to do with that

4. User marks task as completed. ??? is the same as point 5

5. Flow updates appropriate trade record checkbox that step is complete.

Need to know do similar action steps but this needs to be "update item"

This will again request connect and table.  
It will now also ask for a unique ID.  You get this rom teh Dynamic Content list under teh create Items list
All teh fields will be listed so all you need to mark the checkbox field as completed (true or false?)

6. This triggers next step in flow.  ?? not sure where this is going

Now back in powerapps you will see a flow that can be added to button.  When you add it will put something like runflow(.........

After the '(' you will note in the help text it shows all teh variables you now need to complete to do this task. It will include the email vaiable To, suubject etc.  

Note you do not need to be in PowerApps to create your flow.  If you go direct to flow and add new,  type PowerApps and it wil provide you with teh powerapps as a trigger.  When the flow is created you will see it will be added to the list of Flows in PowerApps based on you as the creator

mogulman52
Level: Powered On

leyburn19, thank you for the reply.  It provided me a lot to think about.  I'm now looking at using a stored procedure to manage the flow.  This way I can centralize the flow and perform all checks.  One thing I glossed over was many tasks in flow need to use business days.  So if it is Saturday and it takes 3 business days the item is due Thursday.  I also need to skip designated holidays.  Most are legal requirements.  I'm also looking at using SQL CLR.  Having a C# programming environment provides additional flexibility.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mogulman,

I agree with @leyburn19's thought almost. For your first question, do you want to trigger a flow from an PowerApps app? If you want to trigger a flow from an PowerApps app, I think the PowerApps button trigger could achieve your needs.

More details about starting a flow from an PowerApps app, check the following article:

Start an flow from an PowerApps app

For your second question, Which task record do you want to create within your flow? Do you want to create a task with these data passed from your PowerApps app?

Please check and see if the following thread would help in your scenario:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/Collection-from-PA-via-Flow-to-SP-list/m-p/94...

For your third question, you could add a "Send an email" action of Outlook connector to send an email within your flow.

For your forth and fifth question, do you want the user to mark the task as completed manually? Do you want to update appropriate trade checkbox within your PowerApps app?

More details about learning Microsoft Flow step by step, please check the following article:

https://flow.microsoft.com/guided-learning

Best regards,

Kris 

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,749)