cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pitfrog1
Level: Powered On

Recurrence as an action not a trigger

Hi Guys,

right now I am implementing a flow where every day I need to check all SP list item if certain criterias are met. If so, I use a Switch control to branch the several possibilities.

Within several of these possibilites I want to implement recurrent reminder mail flows. For one this is

• one day before due date
  • at due date
  • after due date
  • then every 30 days

For another possibility it is just weekly. I dont want to implement all the time a new flow. I want everything compact in one flow. Even then I need still to check all the time everyday which status has every item and depending on that branch the flow.

Hope you could help because the only thing I could do is to delay the workflow but I don't know how to do that.

Right now I am solving this with a several counter for every status, the flow increment the counter if it is still in the same status and if a certain number is reached (counter = 7 --> 7 days) the condition is true and a mail is sended out. But as you see this is not really dynamic. I have to hard code the switch cases (7, 14, 21, ...).

So, I thought, hey this should be easy because weekly just means multiples of 7, monthly means multiples of 30. But how can I use that? Does someone know how to define multiples of a variable in a condition?

Hope you can help me and drop me a message if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Pitfrog91

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Recurrence as an action not a trigger

@Pitfrog1 

One way of attacking your issue might be to use a recurrence trigger that fires once a day.  When the trigger fires, use a Get items action to retrieve the list items.  Then, loop through each item and test for each of your conditions and take action as appropriate.

Another way might be to create a Flow for each of your conditions.  The Flow should fire on a daily basis.  Then, use a Get items action with an OData filter so that only those items the meet the specific condition are returned.  Here is a link to a blog post that shows how to filter SharePoint list items with an OData filter.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AKRogers
Level 8

Hello!

Have you tried the Delay or Delay Until actions?  You can use these to delay a Flow by a certain number or hours, days, months etc., or to wait until a specific datetime to excute the rest of the Flow.

Take care,

Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution. Thank you!

Super User
Super User

@Pitfrog1 

One way of attacking your issue might be to use a recurrence trigger that fires once a day.  When the trigger fires, use a Get items action to retrieve the list items.  Then, loop through each item and test for each of your conditions and take action as appropriate.

Another way might be to create a Flow for each of your conditions.  The Flow should fire on a daily basis.  Then, use a Get items action with an OData filter so that only those items the meet the specific condition are returned.  Here is a link to a blog post that shows how to filter SharePoint list items with an OData filter.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Pitfrog1
Level: Powered On

@AKRogersthat won't help me. it feels that the delay functions is too static for me and doesnt provide me a recurrent function.

@ScottSheareri am already doing it exactly how you stated it. but still i need to hardcode the recurrent function. but nevermind it does the trick and for the business process it is more than sufficient. 

Thank you very much 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 212 members 5,263 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: