cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Refresh data on an excel sheet fetching data from an external data source

Hello,

How can we refresh data on an excel sheet (residing on OneDrive), without opening the sheet?

The data on the excel sheet is coming from a  query against an ODBC source (Snowflake connector).

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @robin_gupta 

The current excel connector in Power Automate does not support refreshing a worksheet/workbook as a direct action. However, you can check out the graph API (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/workbook-refreshsession?view=graph-rest-1.0&tabs=http ) and use the HTTP action or build a custom connector for this one. 

If you think this should be added to the existing connector as a feature, you can raise an idea request or upvote similar ones here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

So basically there is no low-code solution to updating an excel file in a onedrive location  as of now?

I had read somewhere on the community that one of the two ways below, could help:

1. Setting up "Refresh a Dataset" from POWERBI as a a Step
  2. " Update a file" step from Sharepoint
  3. Or adding/deleting a row as here on your reply 

@yashag2255  Can you please let me know if the above could help in solving the case?

Hi @robin_gupta 

Adding or deleting a row definitely helps but then it interacts with the data. I was under an assumption that you did not want to do that and externally refresh the worksheet. 

Refresh Dataset in Power BI is for the powerbi datasets so if your data from excel is ultimately going there, you can definitely check that out. 

You can try getting the file content first and then try the update file action and replace content so it might refresh it that way. But I believe there will be certain limitations to that as well.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Tried all methods and gave up. There is no way , Power Automate or any of the Sharepoint/PowerBI/OneDrive tools can refresh data from an external source (ODBC) on an excel sheet (without opening it explicitly)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (9,341)