cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwong
Level: Powered On

Request manager approval for selected file template

Hi All,

I am new to flow and I as I am studying some templates, I am a bit confused on how this flow works. I did some flow about receiving emails once a file is uploaded and among others. But the request manager approval template confuses me on how to use it.

Thanks,

Gilbert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pNabin
Level 8

Re: Request manager approval for selected file template

Hi @gwong ,

This Request manager approval for selected file template is used to ask a manager if he approves the selected file or not. If yes, it sends notification email to the user that the file is approved by manager with reason and if rejected, sends email notification to the requester that the file has been rejected with reason. Let's go into details step by step:

1. For Selected file: It is the trigger of the flow. We have to provide the sharepoint site url and Document library name in this trigger action. NOTE: After we save this flow, the name of this flow will appear on any file selection in the selected sharepoint document library like in the screenshot. Make sure this flow is not turned off because turning off will hide this flow  in that document library.
manager approval 1.PNG

2. Get file properties:

We need to provide the same sharepoint site url and document library as we have entered in the first trigger control. I don't know why we have to enter the same value again but the value should be same else, it will get the properties of the file with same ID in other document library. The ID value is the Id of the selected file which is the default provided value.

3. Get my profile:

Get your(the workflow triggering person) profile information. This information is needed to find manager in next step.

4. Get manager:

Based on step 3, it finds the Manager of the triggering person. 

5. Left Branch: This runs if there is error finding manager of the triggering user. If your company hasn't set up manager in Active Directory, there's error on flow and run this branch.

5a. This will send email notification

5b. the flow will terminate

6.Right Branch: This run if the flow finds manager for the user. 

6a. Send Approval to the manager

If the manager approved, the YES branch runs sending approved email to the user

If the manager denied,the NO branch runs sending denial email to the user.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Nabin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Harry_G
Level 8

hi @gwong ,

Can you please elaborate your scenario more? or please upload any kind of screen shots.

Thanks,

Harry_G

Highlighted
gwong

Hi Harryflow.jpg

this is what i got from template, just want to know how to make this work. 

thanks,

Gilbert

pNabin
Level 8

Hi @gwong ,

This Request manager approval for selected file template is used to ask a manager if he approves the selected file or not. If yes, it sends notification email to the user that the file is approved by manager with reason and if rejected, sends email notification to the requester that the file has been rejected with reason. Let's go into details step by step:

1. For Selected file: It is the trigger of the flow. We have to provide the sharepoint site url and Document library name in this trigger action. NOTE: After we save this flow, the name of this flow will appear on any file selection in the selected sharepoint document library like in the screenshot. Make sure this flow is not turned off because turning off will hide this flow  in that document library.
manager approval 1.PNG

2. Get file properties:

We need to provide the same sharepoint site url and document library as we have entered in the first trigger control. I don't know why we have to enter the same value again but the value should be same else, it will get the properties of the file with same ID in other document library. The ID value is the Id of the selected file which is the default provided value.

3. Get my profile:

Get your(the workflow triggering person) profile information. This information is needed to find manager in next step.

4. Get manager:

Based on step 3, it finds the Manager of the triggering person. 

5. Left Branch: This runs if there is error finding manager of the triggering user. If your company hasn't set up manager in Active Directory, there's error on flow and run this branch.

5a. This will send email notification

5b. the flow will terminate

6.Right Branch: This run if the flow finds manager for the user. 

6a. Send Approval to the manager

If the manager approved, the YES branch runs sending approved email to the user

If the manager denied,the NO branch runs sending denial email to the user.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Nabin

View solution in original post

gwong

Hi,

The trigger is what I am confused, now i know how this can be used.

Thanks!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 196 members 5,408 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: