LeoApril
Frequent Visitor

Retrieving previous submitted ms form information

Hi everyone 

I would like to check whether can we do something like this: 

- previously user submitted their information in application form 

- now I wan them to submit a new form for on boarding 

- but I don’t want them to keep filling up same information 

Is there a way to retrieve information from their first submission & combine with the 2nd ms form submission data then populate it out in excel? I understand we need info to identify the same person, so maybe can use identity card number? 

can this be done using ms flow?

thanks for any help/info in advanced. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @LeoApril ,

As long as there's a relationship between the two responses e.g. responder email, you can lookup the data whether its in Excel (List rows in table) or SharePoint (Get Item) using the relevant connector.

With this said, I would suggest creating a SharePoint list and doing a once off import to the list.  Next, modify your flow to record all future responses to the same list. 

I do not think you will able to query the Excel inside MS Forms directly through the flow which means you will periodically need to download and upload to a library.  Hence, modifying your flow to also write to the list is the way to go to avoid this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark my post as a solution
If you have found my response helpful, please give it a thumbs up

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
eric-cheng
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @LeoApril ,

If you are using Ms Forms standard, I dont think there is a way to get already submitted historical responses automatically.  You can export the answers into Excel and import into SharePoint.  Moving forward, you can store new responses to the same SharePoint list and correlate back to the responder.

If you are using D365 Customer Voice, everything is in Dataverse so you can look at querying the responses out.

Connect on LinkedIn

LeoApril
Frequent Visitor

Hi Eric

thanks for replying. Can I check, what you mean by correlate back to responder? 

in fact, I have not started the form yet. But having this idea of doing this as I can foresee the process flow as it definitely will be 2 submissions. 

But I’m not sure whether I can combine the data from both submission together and populate it in one pdf/excel/words form. I know the responder data can be stored in share point but whether I can query the data from 1st share point excel n combine with 2nd set of data from 2nd submission. This is the part I’m not sure about. 

or is there other way to do it? 

any help is appreciated! 

Hi @LeoApril ,

As long as there's a relationship between the two responses e.g. responder email, you can lookup the data whether its in Excel (List rows in table) or SharePoint (Get Item) using the relevant connector.

With this said, I would suggest creating a SharePoint list and doing a once off import to the list.  Next, modify your flow to record all future responses to the same list. 

I do not think you will able to query the Excel inside MS Forms directly through the flow which means you will periodically need to download and upload to a library.  Hence, modifying your flow to also write to the list is the way to go to avoid this.

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

LeoApril
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Eric! I understand what you mean. Let me try this out. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,057)