cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daxjkent
Advocate II
Advocate II

Run a Child Flow Action now has required Fields. Date, Full Address, Country, City, State, Street, Postal, Latitude, Longitude

Simplified example.   New Cloud flow with Manual Trigger and no inputs.

daxjkent_0-1648151153587.png

2nd Manually triggered flow that calls the first Flow in a "Run a Child Flow" action.

daxjkent_1-1648151196554.png

9 required inputs that were not referenced in the original a trigger.  When did this requirement start for Child Flows and is it going to wreak havoc with all of our existing Child flows.

11 REPLIES 11
manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

Hi @daxjkent 

That doesn't make sense indeed. I smell a bug or something that went wrong in a deployment from Microsoft's site.

I tried to replicate the issue on two tenants, and all is ok, so it's probably something that we need to wait for Microsoft to solve. I know it sucks, but the alternative is to contact the support and check if they can help.

Cheers
Manuel

------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution." It will help other members find the solution faster. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ?
Otherwise, reply to it, and the community will do its best to help you.

DKassian
Advocate III
Advocate III

I am getting this same behavior in multiple environments, along with a bunch of other flow bugs (actions not loading, formula editor not loading, error accessing local storage notification). 

I suspect once again Microsoft has pushed updates without understanding the implications or properly testing. I have not seen any impact to existing child flows, it is only impacting new flows - hopefully it stays that way.

xave686
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for raising this. I thought it was only me that encounter this issue. 

In my flow, the location parameters are not required but an error still pops up saying that they are required. 

keithmcclungeip
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. I've found that by using the trigger "PowerApps V2" instead of "Manually trigger a flow" you can run the flow as a child without all the other fields being required. May not help you if you specifically need it to be manually triggered however.

daxjkent
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is some super heavy modification in some flows when the variable from the trigger is used thru the entire flow.  

Ideally Power Automate could just get their quality control working better and not inflict these random issues that cause massive mayhem and disruption in production environments.

daxjkent
Advocate II
Advocate II

I've had to resort to this in a pile of flows just to get them running again.

daxjkent_0-1648835821087.png

joelzehring
Advocate III
Advocate III

We're also experiencing failed flows related to this issue.

xave686
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft support just came back to me and the solution they proposed is working now. What they proposed is that you have to remove the trigger of the childflow and add it back again. 

Yes, I agree it's tedious because I am doing the same thing as well. 

Please mark this as a solution if it works for you as well. Thanks! 

daxjkent
Advocate II
Advocate II

Yes we were informed of this "solution" as well, but we will not be doing this due to the size of some of the flows infected. 

Please keep in mind, in order to remove a trigger action, you must remove all references to that trigger action thru the entire flow.  In larger flows this is essentially a complete dismantle and rebuild of what was previously a properly working flow.  The old adage of "if it aint' broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.  It was never the child flow that was the issue, it was the parent flow calling it.  The fix needs to happen at the parent level in order for it to be considered resolved in my eyes.

daxjkent
Advocate II
Advocate II

I did just test this proposed fix on a smaller child flow, what is failed to be mentioned is that this proposal also requires you to modify ALL of the parent flows referencing the child flow as well since the "Run a child Flow" action is now passing variables to a child flow that are no longer being requested when you replace the trigger action in the child flow.

xave686
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I understand the situation and I was frustrated to know that this is the solution proposed by them.

I definitely agree with you because my child flow is very large as well. I have to be very careful to add the dynamic content back to my flow again. Luckily my parent flow does not required any input from the child flow, which saves me the trouble and time to add the dynamic content to each of my parent flow. 

Also, I am not sure what kind of help can they provide besides asking for more screenshots of my flow and try this tedious step. If anyone comes up with anything, please share. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (1,745)