cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pm4698
Helper IV
Helper IV

Run a flow daily but perform action every 6x months

Hi there. I have a SharePoint list with records. Within other columns there are the:

Created

Start date

End date

columns in this list.

I created a flow with 1 day recurrence and I set a Get past time for 6 months on the recurrence.

What I need is for daily check if there are records in the list that Created column is equal to the Get past time (6 months from today) and if this is the case then to send an email as a reminder. I have set the email reminder task too.

My issue is that I found how to do things like: 

Created lt formatDateTime(body('Get_past_time'),'yyyy-dd-MM')
in my Get Items filter query but this is not what I need because I need to send reminders only for the records that Created is exactly 6 months before today.

Another thing that I would like to do but I don't know how (the logic) is that before sending the reminder I need to check that today is before End Date column. 

Also I don't know if this is feasible but can I make the flow send reminders every 6 months? Actually flow needs to run every day and check if Created date is exactly 6 months, or 12 months) and generally multiplies of 6 monhts (6, 12, 18 etc.) as long as today is before Ending date?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pm4698
Helper IV
Helper IV

@biterbit  yes I found a way!

I have a flow running every day and does this:

- Recurrence (1 day)

- Get past time (6 months)

- Initialize variable (formatting time from previous step) - formatDateTime(body('Get_past_time'),'yyyy-MM-dd')

- SP Get items with filter: Created lt 'variable from previous step'

-For each loop from previous step

-Condition LatestResponseDate(SP column) is equal to null

-Send email and update item's column from previous step to utcNow()

-If condition is false then it checks if the LatestResponseDate column is less than or equal to Past time (from step 2 ) then update item's SP column to utcNow() and send the email else do nothing.

I need to apply a fix to that flow because it shows like failing when no conditions are met even if its not actually failing. 

Hope that helps! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
biterbit
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Hi  - I have a similar requirement: to send an email to clients every six months from their registration date. I wondered if you found a way in Power Automate to do this?

pm4698
Helper IV
Helper IV

@biterbit  yes I found a way!

I have a flow running every day and does this:

- Recurrence (1 day)

- Get past time (6 months)

- Initialize variable (formatting time from previous step) - formatDateTime(body('Get_past_time'),'yyyy-MM-dd')

- SP Get items with filter: Created lt 'variable from previous step'

-For each loop from previous step

-Condition LatestResponseDate(SP column) is equal to null

-Send email and update item's column from previous step to utcNow()

-If condition is false then it checks if the LatestResponseDate column is less than or equal to Past time (from step 2 ) then update item's SP column to utcNow() and send the email else do nothing.

I need to apply a fix to that flow because it shows like failing when no conditions are met even if its not actually failing. 

Hope that helps! 

@pm4698 Thanks for the suggestion. Since I posted this, I implemented a slightly different solution: I count the number of days since the registration date and then test if it is an exact multiple of 183 days (an approximation of six months). If it is I send a message, otherwise not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,709)