cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
scm8nwr
Level: Powered On

Running created workflows

This seems like a basic question but here goes.

If i'm in a SharePoint document library, select a document, then select Create Flow, then select from one of the templates in the right hand pane, once I've completed building my flow, that workflow then shows in the document library Flow menu so I can then run the workflow - all good.

However, if in a document library again, select a document, then select Create Flow, but this time select "see more templates" in the right hand pane, select a template within Flow, then build the workflow, it doesn't show in the document library Flow menu. This means I can't run it! If the workflow starts with a trigger like "When a file is created", if I create a new document in the library, still the flow doesn't run.

So basically, unless the workflow I want to create is in the right hand pane, I've got no way of running the workflow. Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Running created workflows

Hi @ scm8nwr,

For your first question: “However, if in a document library again, select a document, then select Create Flow, but this time select "see more templates" in the right hand pane, select a template within Flow, then build the workflow, it doesn't show in the document library Flow menu.”

Which template that you choose doesn’t show in the sharepoint document library Flow menu?

If the trigger of the template is “For a selected item” and use the template to create the flow in the sharepoint library, the flow would show in the sharepoint document library Flow menu.

If the trigger of the template is not  “For a selected item”, such as the trigger is “When an item is created”, use the template to create the flow in the sharepoint library,  the flow wouldn’t show in the sharepoint document library Flow menu. This is because the trigger would be fired by every new added item in the library, not only be fired by an selected item in the library.

For your second question:  “This means I can't run it! If the workflow starts with a trigger like "When a file is created", if I create a new document in the library, still the flow doesn't run”

If the trigger of the template is not  “For a selected item”, such as the trigger is “When an item is created”, and you use the template to create the flow in the sharepoint library, you wouldn’t see the flow in the sharepoint document library Flow menu, the flow would be fired when an item is created in the library.

I have made a test on my side to create a flow use template with trigger “When an item is created”,

When a file is created in the library, the flow would run successfully .

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ scm8nwr,

For your first question: “However, if in a document library again, select a document, then select Create Flow, but this time select "see more templates" in the right hand pane, select a template within Flow, then build the workflow, it doesn't show in the document library Flow menu.”

Which template that you choose doesn’t show in the sharepoint document library Flow menu?

If the trigger of the template is “For a selected item” and use the template to create the flow in the sharepoint library, the flow would show in the sharepoint document library Flow menu.

If the trigger of the template is not  “For a selected item”, such as the trigger is “When an item is created”, use the template to create the flow in the sharepoint library,  the flow wouldn’t show in the sharepoint document library Flow menu. This is because the trigger would be fired by every new added item in the library, not only be fired by an selected item in the library.

For your second question:  “This means I can't run it! If the workflow starts with a trigger like "When a file is created", if I create a new document in the library, still the flow doesn't run”

If the trigger of the template is not  “For a selected item”, such as the trigger is “When an item is created”, and you use the template to create the flow in the sharepoint library, you wouldn’t see the flow in the sharepoint document library Flow menu, the flow would be fired when an item is created in the library.

I have made a test on my side to create a flow use template with trigger “When an item is created”,

When a file is created in the library, the flow would run successfully .

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

scm8nwr
Level: Powered On

Hi Alice, many thanks for the explanation, this is the behaviour I'm getting for these triggers too

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,640)