cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PerfsPC
Helper I
Helper I

SP List - Add user manager in another column (existing list)

Hi,

I currently have a SharePoint list with around 1200 entries, with columns such as Name, Department, Email.

The task now is I need to add the users manager to another column, is there a way in flow I can do this in bulk to the whole list?, going forward my existing flow to create the item adds the users manager but with the current 1200 entries if there is a way to update this current items in the list it would be a real bonus and time saver.

Appreciate any support here.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@PerfsPC this is what I tried, see if this helps

jinivthakkar_0-1652790655472.png

Flow

jinivthakkar_1-1652790749362.png

Just add update item action after get manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@PerfsPC you could use "Get manager (V2)" action, this would work only if the profile has manager tagged to it. If this works then you can simply run the flow on each item and update manager field.

If you have other items too, then you need to have a filter to get only your 1200 records, a filter can be soemthing created/modified date, or even more simpler add a new column have value like 'Batch1' run the flow only for items which have value in this new column and later delete the column.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

PerfsPC
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for the info but I think the problem there is the column I have for "Users" isn't a created by, this is a person column where the names have been populated by a powerapp. so struggling to work this one out.

++Works perfectly for a created by column, however just need to figure the person column to flag the manager 🙂

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@PerfsPC this is what I tried, see if this helps

jinivthakkar_0-1652790655472.png

Flow

jinivthakkar_1-1652790749362.png

Just add update item action after get manager

Good Evening @jinivthakkar appreciate your input here, worked perfectly, slightly amended for the needs of my list but 10/10 thank you for your time.

PerfsPC
Helper I
Helper I

Small update and issue on this. It all works fine but...

We have a few anomalies where a user may not had a manager currently set on the system this happened to us when a manager left, there account was disabled until a replacement is employed and activated again in Azure.

When the flow picks up this user with no manager the flow fails and stops at this point being unable to continue down the list of entries.

What would you suggest to get past this error? not so much to add a manager where one doesn't exists but to continue the flow for all users with a manager flagged? Any help would be great.

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@PerfsPC you can have a error logging mechanism like try catch in your flow, please see this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rGbJXsH1U

the flow would continue if there is error 

PerfsPC
Helper I
Helper I

Will take a look cheers 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (1,450)