cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKushner
Level: Powered On

Re: Send Approval Email Body Formating

The problem is specific to Approval Email. Outlook Send Email works fine because there is an option for html. There is no such option in the Approval Email.ApprovalEmail.JPG

Power Automate Staff RajRa
Power Automate Staff

Thanks for reporting this, we will looking into adding this.

Microsoft MWilliams86
Microsoft

Hello RKushner,

So I've found a work around until the devs are able to explicitly allow Approval emails to be made in to HTML emails.

If you put a Multiple Line Text column with Enhanced Rich Text (or Rich Text I assume, haven't tested that specifically) from the Sharepoint site in to the body of the Approval email, it will be forced to become an HTML email to accomodate that field's formatting. I don't believe this column even needs to have text in it for this to trigger the forced HTML setting.

With this you can use basic html formatting (<h1>, <br>, <p>, <b>, etc.) in the approval email.

Again, this is just a work around until the devs allow for an opt-in to HTML formatted Approval emails.  

RKushner

This isn't working for me. I created a multiline field with enhanced rich text in the list which triggers the approval email, but the <br> tags still appear as "<br>" rather than rendering as a newline.

You have to insert the Ehanced rich text field into the body of the approval message for it to work.  The workaround worked for me.  I have found using <p> elements/tags works better for spacing in emails in Flow.

RKushner

I did put the multiline enhanced text field (empty) into the body of the approval email, and then I also tried inserting a blank space into that field. But the "<br>" still comes thru I will try <p>.

RKushner

I have also tried <p> </p> pairs, but that also doesn't work for me.

RKushner

Here's the email that I am receiving in OWA:

<p>Ronald Kushner,</p><p> Ronald Kushner has requested an external account for Tom Terrific.  </p><p>You have been selected as the Approver of this External Account Request. </p><p> Please approve or reject the request.</p><p> Once approved, the external user will have access to PME Online applications. </p><p>This request will expire in 10 days. </p><p> *Contact Enterprise PME Services with questions or concerns.</p>

Microsoft MWilliams86
Microsoft

flow capture.PNG

Let's say the Image above is my Approval email, as long as I have an Enhanced Rich Text Multiline item from Sharepoint in there it should recognize the html code. My Enhanced Rich Text Multiline Text Item is in the Red Box. As long as that item is in the email it sould convert the html code in the actual email. the html will still show up in the raw form in the flow. If that item is not there in the email body, the text will just show the raw html code. 

RKushner

I have also put the Enhanced Rich Text Multiline item from Sharepoint in there it but it still doesn't recognize the html code (in the email, not in the Flow) unless there is some text inside of that field.

Microsoft MWilliams86
Microsoft

Alright, good to know. That's just the current limitations of the service then.

Highlighted
BVN

Any idea as to when more formating options will become available? This is a quite fundamental issue that I guess many people are waiting for to get most out of Flow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/How-to-insert-a-quot-Clck-Here-quot-in-an-email/t...

create a link with an href the add the below code in body of your email.

<A HREF="http://www.yoursitelink.com">Click Here for details</A> and this will automatically format all the HTML in the body of the approval email

jtrygg

As an FYI, this tactic worked for me. I was able to embed simple HTML tags. All I did was create a new column with the "Rich Text" option enabled, then added it to the bottom of my approval email. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using HTML formatting in the approval emails for some time now. I compose an email to myself, send it and then 'right click' - 'view source' to create the HTML code.

I've also had some success with inserting images although only when they're hosted on a sharepoint site.

let me nkow if you want to see some example code,

@eddierthomas

JC75

Ive generally cracked this - however

one of the fields on my email is a multiline column is a SP list, that is created from a multine textinput box on a powerapps form.

If say in the column - the Text is fomatted onto several lines, i.e the user wrote multiple pargraphs, the output in the email is to trunk this all together, placing spaces between words rather than lines.

e.g user as written:

One

Two 

Three

appears on the email as One Two Three.

Anyway to fix this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JC75, we had the same issue here. I dont think it is possible tbh. the only possible way would be some text trickery if the list stores the carriage returns as a character that isnt displayed which you could then use as a line break in the email formatting. I dont think it works this way though...

Fbelay

Adding <br> improved my notification.   How do you get it to align left?   my flow notification is all centered.

Microsoft MWilliams86
Microsoft

You may be able to use the <p align=[desired alignment]> tag for this but I haven't tested it myself.

https://html.com/paragraphs/#The_ALIGN_Attribute-2

chriso97

Do you know if this was ever resolved ????

I am using a Send Approval and the formatting is ugly ugly ugly 

it even prints the <br> tags 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,203)