Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tested1
Level: Powered On

Send an email when a choice column changes

Hello!

I have a choice column with three choices: 

1) Waiting to be processed (Default Value)
2) ____ created
3) Error in creation

Someone will manually change the column to 'error in creation' or a Powershell script will change that column from the default value to error.

Is it possible to send an email when the column changes from waiting to be processed to error in creation?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Send an email when a choice column changes

@tested1 

Another option if you are having trouble with the versions (although they are the best), is to simply create another column in your list like "Previous Checked Status".

Then in your Flow you can check the current against the previous - if changed, then do your actions and set the "Previous Checked Status" to the current for the next time it hits flow.

It's a simply quick solution, but it does add another column to your list - if not important, then it's easy.

I hope that helps add some fuel for thought.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Hi @tested1 

I would advise looking at this excellent process from @ScottShearer .

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Check-for-a-Change-in-a-SharePoint...

When testing, I set this up on a Choice column and a boolean and have Flow sending me an email when there is a change. The "Send email" just needs adding to the end of the process.

He has posted this in the forum also here.

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

If this post has solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution".

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tested1

Thanks @AlanPs1  I will look into it. I didnt think it was this complex! 

Thought I could just add a condition to check if the value has changed/Item change but this might be difficult with choices...As it could change to choice 3 and we dont want to send an email for that. Only if the column is changed to error

Super User
Super User

Hi @tested1 

As Scott mentions in his forum post (I linked "here")

"I've seen a lot of questions about how to see if a value in a SharePoint list column has changed.  This is not something that Flow does "out of the box".  That said, you can achieve this goal with Flow using SharePoint web services and it isn't difficult. "

It's very easy to follow and a skill worth knowing so I'm sure you'll get on just fine once you have followed his instructions.

#Kudos to Scott for creating this.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tested1

Interesting. It said in this guide to have version history on for this list.

Would this mean that if a manager clicks on the item, and changes the status column to a different value, then another version of the item would appear on the list?

So if you click on the list it shows two versions? We wouldnt want this as the list could grow out of hand? Or is there a separate list to view versions 

Super User
Super User

Hi @tested1 

Regards version history:

"When versioning is enabled in your SharePoint list or library, you can store, track, and restore items in a list and files in a library whenever they change."

More details here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/view-the-version-history-of-an-item-or-file-in-a-list-or-li...

You say "Would this mean that if a manager clicks on the item, and changes the status column to a different value, then another version of the item would appear on the list?"

So, I think you are asking if it creates another column which is almost a clone of the last. No, it wouldn't. Versioning is like a backup of sorts. 

Thanks, Ala

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Super User
Super User

@tested1 

Another option if you are having trouble with the versions (although they are the best), is to simply create another column in your list like "Previous Checked Status".

Then in your Flow you can check the current against the previous - if changed, then do your actions and set the "Previous Checked Status" to the current for the next time it hits flow.

It's a simply quick solution, but it does add another column to your list - if not important, then it's easy.

I hope that helps add some fuel for thought.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,671)