cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kayleegoose
Advocate III
Advocate III

Setting Item Level Permissions on SharePoint List (or any other ideas)

I am recreating our old Nintex workflows on SharePoint Online. I have a bunch that use the workflow to set item-level permissions on new items, because only the submitter and approvers can have access to the forms. I know that there is a SharePoint list setting that will make it so that people can only see what they submit, and that I could add all approvers to a group with higher permissions, but this will only partially work. The approvers are never the same people, so they depend on what the user enters on the form. 

I know there isn't an OOB way to do this with Flow, and I see there is one person out there who figured this out: https://noellawlor.wordpress.com/2018/01/18/setting-sharepoint-item-list-permissions-with-flow/

But I was wondering if there was a way to handle this that I'm not thinking of. 

Thanks! 

1 REPLY 1

Hi @kayleegoose you can still follow Noel's blog, however don't worry about the part at the beginning about getting the access token from Azure AD.

If you use the Send HTTP Action to SharePoint, that will connect using your credentials, so the only part you need to do is make the rest call to break inheritance, and then the subsequent calls to set your permissions after that.

Alternatively Plumsail have an action which will set the permissions for you, but that will incur additional cost.

You have a couple of options, and if you try the first way and get stuck, let us know and we'll be happy to lend a hand.

If you have found this post useful, please give it a thumbs up. If it has answered your question, please accept it as the solution so others can benefit.

@MattWeston365

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,472)