cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
howitzer1972
Level: Powered On

SharePoint Content Approval?

I'm hoping someone can answer some general questions or provide links to some documentation that might explain how it works. I have been trying to figure it out and it just seems like I'm missing something.

I have a basic SharePoint Document Library.  I have enabled the standard Content Approval Flow options.

Annotation 2019-04-10 140230.png

As far as I can tell, this simply sets the Comments and Status fields based on how a users interacts with the UI in the library.

Approve.png

Is there any way to set who the approver can be?  Is there any way to configure Email notifications?  Who can approve this, anyone with Contributor rights?   

After playing around with this OOTB feature I started to look at building my own flow.  I turned off the Approval on the Library option.  However when I use the Set Content Approval Action I get a message that "Content moderation is not enabled on the library". I re-enabled the Content Approval Flow option and no longer get the error. However, this now enables the Approve/reject option in the SharePoint UI which can conflict and override how my custom flow it running. My Flow will generate Approval Tasks for the end user in the Flow interface but the option from the ECB menu still allows users to Approve/reject.

Is this how it really works?  Am I missing some sort of configuration option, way to disable some of those menu option?  The Set Content Approval Action almost seems useless if you can't disable those UI options from the Library.

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: SharePoint Content Approval?

Hi @howitzer1972 , 

I have searched for some Docs about the Approval in SPO.

Please take a reference to the blog below:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Contract-Approval-Flow-in-a-Modern...

Hople it will make help to you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

howitzer1972
Level: Powered On

Re: SharePoint Content Approval?

Thanks for the reply.  I spent more time testing and understand the process now, should have done that before posting. Smiley Embarassed

Almost 10 years of using Content Approval in our 2010 environment and never realized that the Content Approval buttons were there as well.  Most likely because all our libraries used the OOTB 2010 Approval workflow or a custom SharePoint Designer workflow.

screen1.png

With the option to Start when publishing a major version

screen3.png

and to Enable Content Approval in the workflow.

screen2.png

All my users would interact with the task directly through Outlook, they almost never went to the library and never really saw the Content Approval button.

The only real difference I can see between 2010 and SharePoint Online is that there is no warning if a Flow is already running on the document.

screen4.png

I was getting confused because I was focusing on modern/current SharePoint functionality, instead of how it's been working since 2010.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 314 members 5,909 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: