Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
max81
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

SharePoint Date column - TimeZone / Daylight Saving Time issues

Hello,

we have a SharePoint with regional setting: TimeZone UTC+1.

In a SharePoint list, we have 3 dates: BirthDate, NameDate and ContractDate. We store only date information. So no time information is actively stored.

I know, SharePoint is storing DateTimes in UTC, but the problem is: depending on the date, SharePoint seems to store the information in "normal" or "summer"-time - so more or less the same as  daylight saving time in the US.

Example:

max81_0-1659618438171.png

As you can see, the time difference to the actual entered date in SharePoint is between 1 or 2 hours.

How can I handle this? I want to do my next steps (calculations, conditions) based on the "correct" day.

2 REPLIES 2
David-
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but as you mentioned SharePoint saves all dates in UTC. So you could use the  Convert time zone action to convert from UTC to your time zone.

And while you may not be storing the time in your list, SharePoint saves the time as 12 midnight UTC and then offsets it based on the Time Zone of the site or the user profile.

Converting time zone in Power Automate - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

This old article helps to explain the nightmare of working with dates and times in SharePoint: SharePoint time, is not your time, is not their time. – Veni, Vidi, Vici (julieturner.net). Good luck.

max81
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

unfortunately, the convert time zone action didn't solve my problem. because depending of the time difference, the convert gives me the wrong date back.

Example with convert from UTC to UTC+1:

birth date in SharePoint stored as: 1968-03-15T23:00:00Z --> 1986-03-16 <-- correct

name date in SharePoint stored as: 2010-06-28T22:00:00Z --> 2010-06-28 <-- not correct, I need the 2010-06-29

Of course, I can just add always 2 (or even more) hours in an expression, but this should not be an manual process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,423)