cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint URL size limits blocking flows?

Apparently, the limit of characters allowed in a SharePoint URL is 255

Item URL: 

https://abcdefghi.sharepoint.com/sites/ProductDevelopment/Shared%20Documents/01%20Sales%20Package/Service%20Pricing%20and%20Internal%20Business%20Case/03%20SLA%20OLA%20-%20DCEFG%20ABC/Schedule%HIJKLM%20-%20NOPQRS%20TUVWXYZ%20-%20ABCD%20EFGHI_20180406.docx?d=w123456789012345678901234567890

Results from running a flow on the above Item:

"status": 502,
"message": "Invalid URL value.\n\nA URL field contains invalid data. Please check the value and try again.\r\nclientRequestId: xxxxxxxxxxxxx\r\nserviceRequestId: xxxxxxxxx",

My flow breaks when creating a list item with and using the lengthy URL as a hyperlink inside a list item

is there really a limit in that blocks my Flow?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: SharePoint URL size limits blocking flows?

Hi @ Jes,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Will your flow breaks when creating a list item with and using the lengthy URL  that you mentioned as a hyperlink inside a list item?

Does the flow would works fine when creating a list item with and using the URL  less than 255 characters as a hyperlink inside a list item?

Please refer to link below to learn more about about how to increase the number of characters limit in hynamic column type:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/185293/how-to-increase-the-number-of-characters-limit...

Please let me know if your issue could be solved.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: SharePoint URL size limits blocking flows?

Check out the last recommendation in this post:  

A co-worker and I found a work-around. We are not updating both parts of the Hyperlink field, but this works nicely as an alternative.

Instead of a hyperlink field, we use a Multiple Lines of Text field with the text type set to "Enhanced Rich Text". In the flow, we insert something like this into the field:

<a target="_blank" href="[CURRENT ITEM:URL]">[CURRENT ITEM:URL PREVIEW]</a>

[CURRENT ITEM:URL] and [CURRENT ITEM:ID] are the dynamic content. The result is a link that appears in the list, under whatever column you chose.

This method has the downside of being less user friendly (unless you hide the field in the New Item/Edit Item forms), but I find it simple and reliable.

A note to any Microsoft moderators reading this: I realize that this could potentially be abused to inject code into a list. If something must be done about it, I humbly request that either A) certain DOM elements are white-listed or black-listed as necessary, so that some part of this functionality will survive, or B) the functionality to resolve OP's question is implemented.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (8,496)