cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint metadata fields deleted when item updated

Hi all, 

I'm seeing some odd behavior and hoped someone could tell me what the heck is going on here. I have a a couple flows that I'm working on. In the first of these flows, in a SharePoint document library, I am able to update a metadata field when the item is modified by providing the site URL, list name, and ID, and then specifying the field to update. 

DocLibUpdateFlow.PNG

This works as expected. 

Next, I have a SharePoint list that I would also like to update a field on. I created a new flow triggered on item modified, just as above. Interestingly, in the Update Action item on this flow, the Title field is also required:

ListUpdateFlow.PNG

This list has several other fields that are not appearing here because they are managed metadata fields - based on everything I've read, Flow cannot update managed metadata fields. When this flow runs, it updates the "HdnPrgText" field as expected, but deletes all of the values from my managed metadata columns, and I can't set them to prevent them from being deleted.

Two questions:

1) Am I missing something here that will prevent losing my managed metadata columns on the list item?

2) Why is the behavior different on the list item vs library? I also have managed metadata columns on the library, and the flow has no effect on those columns. 

Any input much appreciated!

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint metadata fields deleted when item updated

Hi @Anonymous,

Currently "Managed Metadata" columns in SP are not supported by PowerApps/Flow. This is on the roadmap. Although, we do not have a specific release date to share with you as of yet, please be assured it is not a forgotten ask.

See here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/SharePoint-Online-Support-quot-Managed-Metadata-quot-fields-with/idc-p/17272/tab/preview/label-name/termstore

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-monli-msft

Thanks for the response. I understand that managed metadata fields are not supported. However, I would not expect managed metadata values to be deleted from an item when another supported field type is updated. As I've outlined in my original post, I have no trouble updating a supported field type without effecting the values stored in managed metadata columns on a library item. However, in the list, setting the value for a supported metadata column type removes the values I have set for managed metadata. So, to me, this is more than managed metadata not being supported - the ability to update ANY field on an item that contains managed metadata is unsupported?

Thanks.

levijohnson
Level: Powered On

I found the exact behavior today. This seems like a bug, and I can't use flow at all because it's clearing out my MMD fields. Extremely frustrating, as I was going to use flow for a new process, but now I cannot. 

Highlighted
levijohnson

I found this post after creating mine, but I put one under 'I found a bug', because I do believe this to be a bug.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/I-Found-A-Bug/Taxonomy-Managed-Metadata-fields-are-emptied-whene...

Jaystechtips

I realized this is an old post.

I am experiencing the same issue with Sharepoint list.

I am doing an approval flow and i noticed that text column entries are being deleted every time I update the sharepoint list.

We need the entries from those text fields.

Any update on this? 

Super User
Super User

Hey @Jaystechtips 

Could you share your Run of your latest Flow on this?

So we can get some more insights on what could go wrong here.

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Jaystechtips

Hey @Tom_Slosse 

Its seems I don't have the issue anymore. It might be a cache issue i had yesterday.

Today before testing I cleared my browser's cache. I also tried in incognito mode.

Then I tested the same flow that i am having troubled with. Compared it with the one that was working.

I've put values in those text field manually and also using Powerapps, then i ran the flow.

After each approval step, I check if the values are still there. And after the final approval, the values are not erased

I don't know if its a cache issue or a bug.

Thanks though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,745)