Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric6
Helper II
Helper II

Sharing Flow with run-only users without email notification

Hi,

I'd like to share a flow with a site user group that has a large number of members. When testing this with a colleague we noticed that sharing the flow triggered an email message informing her that she can run this flow now. Will such messages also be triggered for the group, and can this be avoided?

I might get a lot of questions when these messages go out... I don't want people to run into access issues later, but they don't need the email notification at this point.

Kind regards,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dbro
Super User
Super User

Hi @Eric6,

I would try using the share with Sharepoint Library or List option instead. This allows members of the list to run the flow and in my test, did not send email. This gives the users the options to start the flow but not modify it. Do you really want everyone in a large group to be able to modify it?

runOnly.jpg

If this works, please mark it as anwered.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dbro
Super User
Super User

Hi @Eric6,

I would try using the share with Sharepoint Library or List option instead. This allows members of the list to run the flow and in my test, did not send email. This gives the users the options to start the flow but not modify it. Do you really want everyone in a large group to be able to modify it?

runOnly.jpg

If this works, please mark it as anwered.

View solution in original post

Hi @dbro !

Thanks for the answer. Strangely, it makes a difference for the notification if it is a list or a group...

I would certainly like a large number of people to be able to add new items. This triggers an approval workflow so we have control.

However, people should not be able to modify other people's items, or to modify their own items after they have already been approved. It's a different question, so I do some research first and maybe raise it later. Though if you have a hint there, too, it would be great.

Kind regards,

Eric

Kind regards,

Eric

rgspinks
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. I've added the sharepoint list to the users, but flow is still not being triggered. I'd like to add the group to the users, but can't have 30,000 people getting an email notification.  Any thoughts???

Hi @rgspinks

is your case realy an issue with permissions? My original issue was not about the flow being triggered automatically. It was about the permissions for people to run the flow from their own accounts and trigger them manually.

Best try and and assign permissions to individual people first to find out if that makes a difference at all.

Best regards,

Eric

rgspinks
Frequent Visitor

Given that I wanted the functional mailbox to send the response email, yes, I believe it is a permissions thing. I'm trying it another way, but this isn't solving my problem or accomplishing what I want since it'll come from a personal email and that is not what I wanted to do. I think we'll get it figured out, however, not the solution I wanted.

Thanks,

Risa

latinus1985

'Manage run-only' permissions to start a workflow (for a selected item or button), when configured for a SP list or library requires users to have at least 'Edit' permissions for the whole list/library. This is often too much for the users whom we need to only contribute by being able to trigger a simple, automated task against a list item. In practice, when users have Edit permissions, by default they can go to the List Settings and delete the whole list! For such a reason, I would struggle to find a scenario where the SP list users would be added to workflow permissions. Going back to the original issue of sending out notifications - do you say that when individual users are added - the email gets sent, but when a group is added - there are no notifications? I'm yet to do my own test for that. The most sensible approach would be for the MS to give us a toggle to notify or not. Seems a simple thing to implement. Thanks all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,303)