cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kran
Helper IV
Helper IV

Sharing a flow vs setting scope to Organisation

I´m trying to understand how scope vs sharing  works.

• If I have set to scope to organization, but not shared the flow, will it still run for all the users?

Kran_0-1634991423691.png

5 REPLIES 5
CFernandes
Super User
Super User

Hey @Kran 

When you share a flow, you are adding another owner and allows others to edit, update and delete this flow. The owners can also access the run history and add or remove other owners.

Sharing a Flow - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/create-team-flows 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scope on the other hand works in context of Data-Verse - i.e. it is related to record access level.

The record access plays a very crucial role, because it helps users to limit the access to the records in the Organization. This access of records can be to whole Organization, Parent: Child Business Units, Business Unit and User level. In the same way we can specify the scope of Power Automate by using DataVerse.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/dataverse/create-update-delete-trigger#scope

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

P.S. take a look at my blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks.

Kran
Helper IV
Helper IV

@CFernandesThanks for your reply!

If I understand correctly; the Scope says when it shall be triggered. If Scope is set to Business Unit, then the flow will only be triggered when other users, in the same business unit as the flow creator, are doing an operation.

Scope is not related to flow co-owners. Only the flow creator.

Is that correct?

Hey mate,

Yes, I think your understanding is right -When we select scope as Business Unit, the Flow would trigger for all users of the same business unit.

You should have a look at  - https://www.inogic.com/blog/2019/07/how-to-use-scope-with-common-data-service-in-microsoft-flow/ 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

P.S. take a look at my blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks.

@CFernandes

"...the Flow would trigger for all users of the same business unit."

As who? The flow creator?

Hello @Kran 

The will trigger under the context of the user who has configured the flow - When we select scope as Business Unit, the Flow would trigger for all users of the same business unit. Same business unit means, the Flow execution context Users’ Business Unit.

The above text is from the reference artilce I provided you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (1,732)