cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julianhoewel_95
Helper II
Helper II

Should I create a delay-action when files are created?

Good morning,

I have a short question about the flow functionality. Let's assume that I create a SharePoint file in my flow and in the next action I want to get the content of that file (for example with "get file using path") - Is it advisable to insert a delay-action between these actions, or does flow wait until the action really has created that file?

I'm asking because in my test licence it seemed like the following action sometimes started even when the previous action wasn't actually done yet. I'm pretty sure thats not the case but I just wanted to have another opinion on that..

Julian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @julianhoewel_95 

Ideally the flow does wait until the action is completed before moving to the next action item. Can you check and confirm if you are facing issues on that end. 

If not, a small delay of 5-10 seconds wouldn't hurt in my opinion. 

Hope this helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
manuelstgomes
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @julianhoewel_95 

Introducing delays is never a good solution. To avoid issues, why don't you use the file contents from the source that you use to upload the file. It's the same file so you can get the contents while the file is being uploaded.

Something like:

1. Get file contents

2. Upload file

3. Use the file contents

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Cheers
Manuel

Hi @julianhoewel_95 

Ideally the flow does wait until the action is completed before moving to the next action item. Can you check and confirm if you are facing issues on that end. 

If not, a small delay of 5-10 seconds wouldn't hurt in my opinion. 

Hope this helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (5,603)