Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimJim
Helper V
Helper V

Solution Design Considerations

Hi Guys,

I am a new PA user and have been thrown in at the deep end at work. I have been asked to build a new solution that will allow users to request a new product. The request will go through 3 levels of approval and there will be 3 approvers on each level. At each level, 2 out of 3 approvers must approve before it moves on to the next approval stage.

My questions are:

1. I wanted to ask about storage, there are a possible 9 different approvers for each request, I need to capture the decision of each approver including the date and any comments. Should I store these details in a separate table? Coming from a SQL background it doesn't make any sense to store everything in the one place.

2. Should I be using Sharepoint List or CDS? I assumed Sharepoint List but that's only because I hadn't heard of CDS until today. My company has premium license for Office 365

3. Design considerations for the flow itself, I was thinking of a modular approach, having a flow for the approver work, being called and controlled by a master flow. Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

If you have any additional tips for me, I sure would appreciate it 😃

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@JimJim I have done something similar in past so I will try to answer your queries:

1. I wanted to ask about storage, there are a possible 9 different approvers for each request, I need to capture the decision of each approver including the date and any comments. Should I store these details in a separate table? Coming from a SQL background it doesn't make any sense to store everything in the one place.

Makes more sense to store all relevant information for a request at one place as if you keep in different places, you will have to make calls for everything which will add more actions and api calls unnecessarily, with just one action if you get the record  all relevant information would be available.

2. Should I be using Sharepoint List or CDS? I assumed Sharepoint List but that's only because I hadn't heard of CDS until today. My company has premium license for Office 365

Yes SharePoint is a good option as its just going to be a simple app for approvals and I have not worked with CDS but I think there would still be some charge, so SharePoint is easy to manage and free so SharePoint it is.

3. Design considerations for the flow itself, I was thinking of a modular approach, having a flow for the approver work, being called and controlled by a master flow. Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

You can try parent child flow and yes having different flows for different stages of request will help you keep the flow easy and light also in case of issues it would be easy to find and pin point issues

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@JimJim I have done something similar in past so I will try to answer your queries:

Makes more sense to store all relevant information for a request at one place as if you keep in different places, you will have to make calls for everything which will add more actions and api calls unnecessarily, with just one action if you get the record  all relevant information would be available.

Yes SharePoint is a good option as its just going to be a simple app for approvals and I have not worked with CDS but I think there would still be some charge, so SharePoint is easy to manage and free so SharePoint it is.

You can try parent child flow and yes having different flows for different stages of request will help you keep the flow easy and light also in case of issues it would be easy to find and pin point issues

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @jinivthakkar ,

Thank you, it's good to know I am on the right path

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,468)