Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottRoso
Helper I
Helper I

Splitting a string by uppercase letter

Hey all,

I am severely stuck on this issue. I have a string that was created called GetName which contains a dynamically changing name based upon what is uploaded for example: JohnSmith, JaneDoe etc. What I want to do is to be able to separate this string based upon the location of an uppercase letter. There is no space or other special character that I can use to identify where I want the split to be so I am hoping that someone may have a better idea to perform the action.

Thanks for any and all input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ekarim2020
Super User
Super User

Here is one method:

ekarim2020_0-1645037089482.png

Snag_1f902e5.png

range(1,sub(length(variables('varName')),1))

MAP:
if(contains(variables('varUpper'),substring(variables('varName'),item(),1) ), item(),0)

Snag_192e5d8.png

Snag_1962d14.png

LENGTH:
first(body('Filter_array'))

Snag_19664ae.png

STARTING POSITION:

LENGTH:
sub(length(variables('varName')), first(body('Filter_array')))

Here is some sample runtime output:

Snag_1b04ef5.png

Ellis

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DamoBird365
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @ScottRoso 

I've given this a go as follows:

A list of upper case letters A-Z, can be split() to create an array and the used with contains() (case sensitive) and indexof to get the position of Uppercase letters.

Select input:

split(outputs('ComposeUpperLetters'),',') 

DamoBird365_0-1645038019578.png

letter: 

if(contains(outputs('ComposeName'),item()),item(),'')
if(contains(outputs('ComposeName'),item()),indexof(outputs('ComposeName'),item()),0)

This gives me an array of letters and locations, all bar 1 will be 0 and i can use a filter.

FROM split(outputs('ComposeName'),',')
item()?['location'] greater than 1

DamoBird365_1-1645038124328.png

Output:

DamoBird365_2-1645038172349.png

Please consider accepting my answer as a solution if it helps to solve your problem.

Cheers
Damien

Please take a look and subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more Power Platform ideas and concepts, or take a look at my website. Thanks

ekarim2020
Super User
Super User

Here is one method:

ekarim2020_0-1645037089482.png

Snag_1f902e5.png

range(1,sub(length(variables('varName')),1))

MAP:
if(contains(variables('varUpper'),substring(variables('varName'),item(),1) ), item(),0)

Snag_192e5d8.png

Snag_1962d14.png

LENGTH:

Snag_19664ae.png

STARTING POSITION:

LENGTH:
sub(length(variables('varName')), first(body('Filter_array')))

Here is some sample runtime output:

Snag_1b04ef5.png

Ellis

@ekarim2020  I am trying your method but for whatever reason when I am typing out the "map" portion of the code

it constantly reverts back to the following: if(contains(variables('varUpper'),substring(variables('varName'))))

Any idea on why it would do that/possible fixes?

Sorry, I should have added a note to Switch to text mode for the Select action:

Snag_1f804cf.png

Ellis

@ekarim2020The weird thing is that I have been in text mode and it still reverts for some reason. It does not seem to want to enter any of the "item" function.

@DamoBird365Could you explain a little more on the "Select" step? The note shows split(outputs('ComposeUpperLetters'), ',')contains(outputs('ComposeName'), item())  The system does not like this and throws a flow error message. Thanks again for your help.

Snag_34f27d3.png

If you create the flow and then copy-and-paste the expression below, does it allow you to save?

Ellis

@ekarim2020For whatever reason the copy and paste seemed to work. I do have a slightly different issue now though but the entire process works. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (5,910)