cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ericramos2017
Level: Powered On

Switch Case not working with setting variables

I am trying to set a variable in a switch statement. It is grabing an substring from a URL and set a variable called Set company. The switch statement is failing with an "unexpected error".

Screen Capture

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Switch Case not working with setting variables

Hi ericramos2017,

Could you show me a detailed screenshot of your flow configuration to help reproduce this issue?

To test this issue, I created a flow likes below.

The actions “Set variable” run succeeded under the Switch cases.

Please take it for a reference and try again with it. If you are still having the issue, please feel free post back with more details.

3.PNG

4.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ericramos2017

The switch statement looks tests for a specific number and then sets the variable to a string.  

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ericramos2017,

If you are still having the issue, please share a full screenshot of how is your flow configured to help reproduce this issue on my side.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
hjaf

I just came across this issue as well and perhaps identified where the issue is.
@v-yamao-msft  used a substring during testing, and that is part of the key here. The real issue is that when you create a trigger input and select it to be a text, or a selection of a text you expect this to be a string. That is not the case when using the trigger in switch it seems, providing a somewhat non-descript error message. This seems to be because switch is setting the datatype on the disregarding information from the trigger body: 

"text_1": {
                    "title": "Master",
                    "type": "string",  <----
                    "x-ms-dynamically-added": true,
                    "description": "Select master year",
                    "x-ms-content-hint": "TEXT",
                    "enum": [
                        "2020",
                        "2021"
                    ]
                }

if I supply the direct, or even indirect value from the trigger (button) it does not work, but if i replace this with a text string at design time its no issue.  (Images show using compose but these have been tested both directly and indirectly with compose.)

image.pngmanually input a value to the compose used in switchimage.pngmanually input a value to the compose used in switchimage.pnginput from a button text field failsimage.pnginput from a button text field fails

I Thought perhaps that the solution would be to adding a string() expression on what is expected to be a string in the first place as the field is actually named a text field regardless if you are using it in a dropdown or selection. 
image.pngworkaround with using string()

But it seems that the magic is happening in the switch step where it seems to set the data type from its content at input, while its cases are handled as strings. I then found that adding a non numeric value to the end of the comparison to the switch input will make it interpret it as a string instead of a number datatype. you will also have to add this non-number character at the end of the cases as well.
This seems to be a workaround to the issue.
image.pngforce string type of input

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,947)