cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrevorSuich
Frequent Visitor

Tag/Mention Employees on Yammer

Hello all!  Hoping someone can help me find a solution here.

I've built a Power Automate flow that links to an employee shoutout app that I created for my company.  Our secretary has been manually posting these shoutouts to a Yammer channel, and I foolishly offered to automate the process.

It's incredibly easy to take the message and post it to Yammer... but for the life of me, I can't tag/mention employees in the automated posts.  While the employee names are generated from the Get User Profile O365 integration, they only show up in the Yammer post as plain text.  The only way it seems for me to tag an employee is to manually type @employeename in a Yammer post, then physically select them from the pop-up list.

Yammer Power Automate Issues.png

There has got to be a way around this, but I just can't figure it out.  I've tried using the Yammer 'Get user details' integration in Power Automate, but that relies upon a Yammer centric User ID that has nothing to do with the O365 one so it refuses to pull any dynamic content.  Maybe if I could find the Yammer User ID I could tag people?? 

Any help would be appreciated folks, I've wasted far too much time on such a silly little problem.  Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TrevorSuich
Frequent Visitor

@Expiscornovus apologies for my late response, but thank you so much for the ideas!  I was actually able to tag employees by using the Power Automate Send Email function to email the post to our Yammer page, using the following HTML code to tag employees:

<a href="mailto:MAILBOX">DISPLAYNAME</a>

HTML Yammer Tagging Solution.png

I will definitely use your idea for the future, as I did not know about using yammer for 'praise' posts and I feel our employees would very much like that feature.  Thank you again!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @TrevorSuich,

I don't know if the out of the box actions actually support mentioning. I do know you can interact with the Yammer REST API and for example post a message and mention somebody. That could be a workaround.

Below is an example HTTP POST request which mentions somebody as a praised user. I don't know if a praise post is what you are looking for. Otherwise I can have a look if you can also mention in a regular post.

praisepost_restapi02.png

praisepost_restapi02_test.png

Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter

TrevorSuich
Frequent Visitor

@Expiscornovus apologies for my late response, but thank you so much for the ideas!  I was actually able to tag employees by using the Power Automate Send Email function to email the post to our Yammer page, using the following HTML code to tag employees:

<a href="mailto:MAILBOX">DISPLAYNAME</a>

HTML Yammer Tagging Solution.png

I will definitely use your idea for the future, as I did not know about using yammer for 'praise' posts and I feel our employees would very much like that feature.  Thank you again!

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @TrevorSuich,

I like this e-mail approach. Definitely going to try that as well. Thanks for sharing.

Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (2,794)