cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3R_Automation
Regular Visitor

Time Sheet Report

I have installed in our SharePoint server a third party Time Sheet system.  Part of this app has a connector which allows the time sheet data to be used in other lists.  I have checked the connector and all the data fields I need are being passed into My Flow.  The parent data contains the user and the project data, and there is one field called TimesheetJSON which contains the hours, and the tasks as they pertain to the projects.  What I need to do is pull out the records which are stored in the JSON field and combine that data with the parent data.  And build a summation report (list) which tabulates the users work information each month.  I am very green when it comes to Power Apps and flows, so will need to take baby steps to get this system running.

Oh, the connector is populated whenever a user in the Time Sheet app confirms a submission of hours.  The connector then populates and this is what sets off the flow.

Any examples or help would be greatly appreciated.  I have contacted the vendor who made the Time Sheet app and they pretty much are not telling me how to make a flow or organize the data beyond just populating the connector.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

@3R_Automation 

To get started, I suggest that you take a look at the Parse JSON - that will put your data in a usable form.  Then take that the output of the Parse JSON action and save the data to a SharePoint list that you can create that stores all the data coming in.  You can then have calculated columns and views in your SharePoint list to show the data in a format that meets your needs.  If that is not sufficient, consider linking an Excel spreadsheet to your SharePoint list and doing your reporting there.  Power BI is another option once you have the data in a list.

My suggestion is to get started with what I have suggested and post here if/when you get stuck.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

@3R_Automation 

To get started, I suggest that you take a look at the Parse JSON - that will put your data in a usable form.  Then take that the output of the Parse JSON action and save the data to a SharePoint list that you can create that stores all the data coming in.  You can then have calculated columns and views in your SharePoint list to show the data in a format that meets your needs.  If that is not sufficient, consider linking an Excel spreadsheet to your SharePoint list and doing your reporting there.  Power BI is another option once you have the data in a list.

My suggestion is to get started with what I have suggested and post here if/when you get stuck.

Scott

View solution in original post

I got it working, as you had suspected the Parse JSON was causing trouble.  I needed to accommodate if the data coming into might not have a value and this was why my JSON rung was stopping.  When I got it all working then the Flow ran through to completion and wrote the data into my List. 

My next quest is to build a flow that takes the list data and formats it into Excel for our accountant.  She prefers the Timesheet data summated in excel each week and as a total per month.  I think I can make a Flow which will do this.

@3R_Automation 

For your Excel workbook, my suggestion is to simply keep writing all of your data to a SharePoint list.  Create an Excel workbook and link it to the SharePoint list.  Then format the data in a manner that makes your accountant happy.  The workbook can be configured to refresh the data from SharePoint when you open it.

Scott

Would you have an example of how to link excel to the list?  Also, the accountant gets a weekly summary as well as totals at the end of each month.  With the data being written into excel, can these events be automated or all the users going to have to remember to email accounting?  (I know accounting could very well just login to the SharePoint site and look at the hours but she refuses)

I attempted to write to an excel spreadsheet last week with linkage to the SharePoint List where I am writing the Time Sheet data for the employees.  But I get an error saying that this account is already open in another connection.   I would prefer if the Time Sheet data be written to an excel spreadsheet automatically using flow and not be bound to an excel data link.  This means I will need to attend to it for each employee each week and monthly. 

If the action of submitting Timesheet records was done on a recurring schedule with the option to also assign it to a button this would be more beneficial. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (46,843)