cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlUttley

Trigger a Flow when a document appears in a particular document library view?

Hi, I wondered if it is possible to trigger a flow when a document is added to a particular view in a sharepoint online document library?

The view in question is the out of the box "FILES THAT NEED ATTENTION" view.

I want colleagues to be able to SEND A COPY of a document from their own team site document library to a new knowledge base library I have set up in another site. I have several mandatory/required fields set on the knowledge base library.

When a user sends a copy of the document to the new library, it automatically appears in the FILES THAT NEED ATTENTION view, this is because they have not completed the required metadata fields.

I'd like a flow that automatically emails the user who has sent the copy of the document to the knowledge base, informing them that they need to complete the required fields.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sergeluca
MVP

the only solution is when a document is added, the flow triggers and it checks if the fields are completed or not and sends the e-mail, but then you "pay" for a flow instance any time a new document is added and the logic is duplicate in the view and in the flow.

If you don't want to pay, you can read my blog post: 

https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/trigger-your-flow-only-when-a-document-is-created-from-a-...

This works very well but is not a recommended approach because you have to export to flow code to set the condition

Kind regards

Serge Luca

aka Doctor flow

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlUttley

The trigger "when a file is created in a particular document library view" is not supported in microsoft flow currently.

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

sergeluca
MVP

the only solution is when a document is added, the flow triggers and it checks if the fields are completed or not and sends the e-mail, but then you "pay" for a flow instance any time a new document is added and the logic is duplicate in the view and in the flow.

If you don't want to pay, you can read my blog post: 

https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/trigger-your-flow-only-when-a-document-is-created-from-a-...

This works very well but is not a recommended approach because you have to export to flow code to set the condition

Kind regards

Serge Luca

aka Doctor flow

View solution in original post

Hi @sergeluca  I cant figure out how you can get the attention view as condition, as you have mentioned in your blog post. 

I dont mind to export to zip, if it will work. 

I was looking into a way to get the view by SharePoint Rest API, but I could not figure that out either.. 

Thanks.. 

/Morten

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,805)