Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

Trying to get Excel rows from a Sharepoint List Attachment

Hello all,

I am trying to get PowerAutomate to read a table in an Excel file.  The Excel file is pre-formatted with a Table, and the user uploads the .xlsx via Powerapps to a Sharepoint list as an attachment.  I believe I need the .xlsx in a Sharepoint library (not in a list) so I have PowerAutomate creating a Library with the appropriate name (Date/Project), and then creates an .xlsx in that Library (also named Date/Project.xlsx) using Get Attachment and Get Attachment Content from the original List attachment. 

But I cannot get PowerAutomate to read the .xlsx using Get Tables.  The error is:

Resource not found for the segment 'Date_Project'.
clientRequestId: d8dba680-9372-4607-84a7-6cc06afdb09f
serviceRequestId: 8a93a843-c8ca-475c-ae74-d95412dc387f

I think I have read that these Excel connectors don't work for dynamically named .xlsx files, is that correct?  Am I out of luck?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OP here, just reporting back with SUCCESS!!  There are two main tricks to this:

1)  It doesn't seem to work on Sharepoint Subsites, only root sites.  Or at least I wasn't able to get it to work.

2)  The Youtube video is critical to understanding the workaround.  Because the Excel Connector doesn't like Dynamically created/named files, you must set up the flow using a static/existing file, then go back and remove the static link and replace it with the File Identifier of the file you are creating.  You are essentially tricking PowerAutomate into accepting a dynamic reference using a bait & switch.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

A few more details:

I am using Get File Properties before Get Tables so I can see the File Identifier as described by Shane Young here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcWjAt7QVn4

It appears that the File Identifier includes the folder containing the file (similar to a path).  So, for the 'Library' specified inside Get Tables I am trying different combinations of paths, but nothing seems to work.  I'm currently getting "Sharepoint File Not Found" so, its definitely a path/location problem.

**EDIT**  This issue was resolved when I stopped trying to use a Sharepoint Subsite and went back to the main site.

OP here, just reporting back with SUCCESS!!  There are two main tricks to this:

1)  It doesn't seem to work on Sharepoint Subsites, only root sites.  Or at least I wasn't able to get it to work.

2)  The Youtube video is critical to understanding the workaround.  Because the Excel Connector doesn't like Dynamically created/named files, you must set up the flow using a static/existing file, then go back and remove the static link and replace it with the File Identifier of the file you are creating.  You are essentially tricking PowerAutomate into accepting a dynamic reference using a bait & switch.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (2,986)