Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

Trying to get Excel rows from a Sharepoint List Attachment

Hello all,

I am trying to get PowerAutomate to read a table in an Excel file.  The Excel file is pre-formatted with a Table, and the user uploads the .xlsx via Powerapps to a Sharepoint list as an attachment.  I believe I need the .xlsx in a Sharepoint library (not in a list) so I have PowerAutomate creating a Library with the appropriate name (Date/Project), and then creates an .xlsx in that Library (also named Date/Project.xlsx) using Get Attachment and Get Attachment Content from the original List attachment. 

But I cannot get PowerAutomate to read the .xlsx using Get Tables.  The error is:

Resource not found for the segment 'Date_Project'.
clientRequestId: d8dba680-9372-4607-84a7-6cc06afdb09f
serviceRequestId: 8a93a843-c8ca-475c-ae74-d95412dc387f

I think I have read that these Excel connectors don't work for dynamically named .xlsx files, is that correct?  Am I out of luck?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OP here, just reporting back with SUCCESS!!  There are two main tricks to this:

1)  It doesn't seem to work on Sharepoint Subsites, only root sites.  Or at least I wasn't able to get it to work.

2)  The Youtube video is critical to understanding the workaround.  Because the Excel Connector doesn't like Dynamically created/named files, you must set up the flow using a static/existing file, then go back and remove the static link and replace it with the File Identifier of the file you are creating.  You are essentially tricking PowerAutomate into accepting a dynamic reference using a bait & switch.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

A few more details:

I am using Get File Properties before Get Tables so I can see the File Identifier as described by Shane Young here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcWjAt7QVn4

It appears that the File Identifier includes the folder containing the file (similar to a path).  So, for the 'Library' specified inside Get Tables I am trying different combinations of paths, but nothing seems to work.  I'm currently getting "Sharepoint File Not Found" so, its definitely a path/location problem.

**EDIT**  This issue was resolved when I stopped trying to use a Sharepoint Subsite and went back to the main site.

OP here, just reporting back with SUCCESS!!  There are two main tricks to this:

1)  It doesn't seem to work on Sharepoint Subsites, only root sites.  Or at least I wasn't able to get it to work.

2)  The Youtube video is critical to understanding the workaround.  Because the Excel Connector doesn't like Dynamically created/named files, you must set up the flow using a static/existing file, then go back and remove the static link and replace it with the File Identifier of the file you are creating.  You are essentially tricking PowerAutomate into accepting a dynamic reference using a bait & switch.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Users online (21,293)