Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aditya_93
Helper I
Helper I

Trying to use Excel as Database

Hi Team, @fraenK ,

Thanks always for solving our queries.

I was trying to use Excel as a Database in the power automate desktop application but using the open SQL connection could not make the connection string for my excel as database, anyone who had tried excel as a database can you please provide your expertise.

Another option is to read the excel file & then inside the loop condition add if condition to just read only the specific data but in the case when the file contents are very large it can take a huge time so if excel is the database can be a very efficient option.

Can anyone provide their expert idea so I can try excel as a database option?

4 REPLIES 4
fraenK
Super User
Super User

Just don't use Excel as a database! Power Automate Desktop's Excel handling is very limited. Power Automate with Dataverse is much more powerful. 

Thanks a lot @fraenK , let me try dataverse  & if i get any issue i will post here again, but thanks

timwang
Frequent Visitor

Using Excel as database is of course a good idea and power automate desktop can handle it much better with SQL query enabled.

One of very common task is to split a big sheet (e.g. here Sheet1) into multiple small csv files according your conditionals defined in WHERE sentence. Beforehand, power automate desktop provides very user-friendly interfaces for you to easily build your SQL connection without any coding, then even with simple SQL sentence (10 minutes to learn the basis), you can do a lot.

Here is my flow, running very fast. Cheers.

sql.jpg

lisha
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @timwang 

Is there any way to create a connection string(in open SQL connection) if we need to access multiple excel files?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,391)