cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joelzehring
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Unable to access browser's local storage. Some features such as undo or redo might not work until you clear browser's data

Recently, Power Automate has started to display a warning banner when editing a flow:

"Unable to access browser's local storage. Some features such as undo or redo might not work until you clear browser's data."

After clearing browser cache and other stored data, this warning still appears.

This coincides with an issue where Running a child flow fails because the instant trigger does not have access to location data.

Anyone else receive this warning?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Guys, due to this bug, you may find that some button-triggered flows suddenly have their intrinsic location properties as required inputs, causing the "Run a Child Flow" action to not run and the Parent flow to fail. For me, this has only happened with Child flows that I've just edited. Not every edited child flow behaves this way, but for me ONLY those I've edited since the bug appeared seem to be capable of exhibiting this behavior. The "Run a Child Flow" action in the Parent flow will look something like this:

HEATFreight_0-1649687337449.png

The workaround is easy! For any affected flow, simply edit all Parent flows which run that particular Child flow, and put a 1 or something arbitrary in each of those unwanted required fields. You can make it work for the time being simply by giving each of them a value:

HEATFreight_1-1649687492084.png

As far as I can see, the bug seems to be mostly superficial once you've dealt with this issue.

You may have trouble with the function editor, in which case you can just write out the function in a Notepad window using @{function()} notation, then paste the entire curly-bracketed code directly into the field.

I have also observed some weird stuff going on in Power Apps starting at the same time this bug began affecting things, but that may be entirely coincidental.

tl;dr: The two main impacts of the bug that I have observed both have easy workarounds, bolded above.

View solution in original post

The error message may be irrelevant. I have learned to just ignore it. The only major issue is that some child flows now have required input fields for their intrinsic location parameters, which you can fix by inputting arbitrary values.

As far as I can see, you can safely ignore the yellow error message about clearing your cache. Clearing your cache will not fix anything in the experience of those posting in this thread.

Certain actions will break if you try to use the function editor, so you directly paste the @{function()} notation instead of editing the formula in the editor.

Other than the function editor breaking and child flow calls breaking, I have not noticed any other major symptoms of this issue.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
kiki_515
Regular Visitor

Same here, this first time I encountered such error too 🙂 and anyone can help to advice  how to resolve it? Clearing browser cache, download & history done, but still same warning, I can't edit my flow now...haiz...

BelindaBosman
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yes, same here. Very annoying.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has recently started happening to me too. Clearing browser data doesn't fix it.

Jsalaz1989_2-1649415643260.png

Also coincides with the issue when running a child flow. With experimental features turned off or on, the manual trigger appears to have all these metadata parameters (which are not explicitly established in the child flow):

Jsalaz1989_0-1649415466889.png

In addition, with experimental features turned on, when I try to dynamically select a variable, the action collapses into an error:

Jsalaz1989_1-1649415621917.png

FWIW, with experimental features turned off, it appears to at least let me select a variable dynamically.

EDIT: It's not consistent among flows. Some of them only mark a few of the 'extraneous' parameters as required:

Jsalaz1989_0-1649664981812.png

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Same thing happening to me! Reset Edge cache with default setting and "all time". Did not fix the problem, but sure as heck was a nightmare to relaunch Edge with probably hundreds of tabs logged into various O365 junk.

I lost all my context! And every focused O365 tab in every window and some of the not-focused tabs as well ask for login creds. But once logged in you can use the browser's back button on extraneous login pages and refresh the content with newly cached credentials, however some tabs get stuck on a login page and the previous URL is lost! Unrelated I know, but really unfortunate side effect of being ADHD and following Microsoft's instructions that they link to in the error:


Unable to access browser's local storage. Some features such as undo or redo might not work until you clear browser's data.Learn more

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2186936

It seems like all my flows are affected. Even flows which are not Parent or Child flows are affected.

I'm even seeing this affecting flows both within Solutions and flows built outside of Solutions.

jmarinuk
Helper I
Helper I

I've also just started seeing this message this week.  Clearing the cache/browsing history has not helped.  I'm using Edge as my primary browser at work.

JWiden297
Regular Visitor

I'm also getting this message when trying to edit any Flow on my primary Edge profile. However, if I switch to a different profile or incognito tab I do not. Have tried clearing cookies/cache and restarting to no avail. 

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

More strange behavior like what @Anonymous was seeing...

I have Parent/Child flows failing for broken input schemas, but my Child flow input schemas are all single text inputs (which contain the JSON string of the data I want to pass from Parent flow to Child flow). It's literally looking for exactly one input. But now –only on certain Child flows– I see these extra input fields coming out of nowhere:

HEATFreight_0-1649446627166.png

I also saw a variation of the collapsed action error when I was trying to edit the formula for the input of a Select action. The mitigation is to directly paste the code using @{function()} notation instead of using the formula editor.

HEATFreight_0-1649460547654.png

larmccoy42
Frequent Visitor

I have seen the same error.  It appears to happen in Chrome, both with and without Ingnito mode.  I've also seen this error in Edge one all of my profiles.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No response from Microsoft? This seems to be happening suddenly and to a lot of people, and really messes with the development of flows. It'd be nice to get someone to at least officially acknowledge this...

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Guys, due to this bug, you may find that some button-triggered flows suddenly have their intrinsic location properties as required inputs, causing the "Run a Child Flow" action to not run and the Parent flow to fail. For me, this has only happened with Child flows that I've just edited. Not every edited child flow behaves this way, but for me ONLY those I've edited since the bug appeared seem to be capable of exhibiting this behavior. The "Run a Child Flow" action in the Parent flow will look something like this:

HEATFreight_0-1649687337449.png

The workaround is easy! For any affected flow, simply edit all Parent flows which run that particular Child flow, and put a 1 or something arbitrary in each of those unwanted required fields. You can make it work for the time being simply by giving each of them a value:

HEATFreight_1-1649687492084.png

As far as I can see, the bug seems to be mostly superficial once you've dealt with this issue.

You may have trouble with the function editor, in which case you can just write out the function in a Notepad window using @{function()} notation, then paste the entire curly-bracketed code directly into the field.

I have also observed some weird stuff going on in Power Apps starting at the same time this bug began affecting things, but that may be entirely coincidental.

tl;dr: The two main impacts of the bug that I have observed both have easy workarounds, bolded above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HEATFreight, thanks for posting the workarounds. I also came to the same conclusion regarding the first workaround, but it's forcing me to litter my flows with all that crap. I suppose it's better than just waiting for MS to fix this, but they really should get on it...

I noticed that the so-called "extraneous" parameters are deceptively required, despite the missing red asterisk!

I only have a couple affected Child flows across two environments. In my Dev environment, all those location fields show up as required (red asterisk). In my Prod environment, only the first field has a red asterisk. However, I get the same error for the Parent flow "Run a child flow" action in the Prod and Dev environments, unless I arbitrarily fill in ALL of those location fields, red asterisk or not.

I recall that environments have some kind of production vs. sandbox sort of setting. So it would seem that environments using the "production environment" setting are erroneously showing those fields as extraneous (on top of erroneously showing them at all).

Hope they fix this soon, but wonder if the workaround will break things after the fix? Hopefully whatever fix they deploy will deal with that.

In the absence of a solution from Microsoft, your post gets the nod as the solution to this issue. The same worked for us. Turning off Experimental Features also seems to have improved stability somewhat in the flow editor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like Microsoft still needs to weigh in on this.

@HEATFreight's workarounds are essentially just that...workarounds. We can't be developing flows by adding 1's to parameters that shouldn't be there. Keep in mind that if we continue doing so, and Microsoft eventually fixes the issue, a lot of those flows with the then-uneccessary 1's are going to start breaking no? And I don't even want to think about how that will affect any flows that have been sent over to production with those extraneous parameters.

Keep in mind that if we continue doing so, and Microsoft eventually fixes the issue, a lot of those flows with the then-uneccessary 1's are going to start breaking no?

Yes, exactly this! Will they roll back the arbitrary data we used as inputs to fix the workaround? What could those possibly break? If you actually use those intrinsic location parameters for something, then inputting arbitrary data probably breaks your logic. Or even like in my case if you don't use the intrinsic location parameters for anything at all, something still might break after this issue has been resolved on the Power Automate side.

I have an ongoing support ticket and I keep asking them to reply to this thread with their suggestions, but I think that's crossing the streams. The Microsoft folks who would reply here are probably not the same as those who handle support tickets, most of whom are actually 3rd-party contractors not employed directly by Microsoft.

Here's the last communication I received in the email thread for my support ticket:

I hope you are having a good start of the week. 

My name is _____, I am one of the supervisors of the Power Apps and Power Automate team.

In this instance, I am contacting you, as I would like to schedule a call so we can review together the current state of your case, so we can reach a resolution as soon as possible and clarify any further questions.

What is your availability? My working hours go from 1 PM until 10 PM EST.

I will be waiting for your reply

Every time they ask me to get on yet another call with them, I reject their request and ask that they email or post the fix here. I've already been on a 1 to 2 hour screenshare with them where I showed a support engineer all the symptoms of the issue. Why can't the solution be emailed? Why would I have to schedule another call/screenshare? Honestly Microsoft's 3rd-party contractor support company has no idea what they are doing except for the most basic of issues.

And before that last email here are the troubleshooting steps they recommended:

I hope this email finds you well

I want you try the following troubleshooting steps, to see if this can mitigate the issue, please review the following document:

Troubleshooting startup issues for Power Apps - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs(section: Enable storage of third-party cookies and local data in your browser or app).
You have steps for multiple browsers / operative systems.

After you enabled the storage of third-party cookies and local data, please also follow the steps from the section "Configure Trust Zones for Internet Explorer" - Option 1. The settings defined on Internet Explorer affect multiple things in your local machine, even if you are not using Internet Explorer or Edge as your default browser.

This action plan have worked for other customers before with similar issues, please let me know regards your findings,

Our customers’ satisfaction is paramount to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have further concerns or queries regarding this case.

Rest assured that we will provide you with the necessary support you deserve.

Here is the hyperlink from that message: Troubleshooting startup issues for Power Apps - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

I gotta be honest, I have not really looked into this at all and have definitely not tried to follow their advice, because I think they are wrong and I do not believe their suggestion takes into account the novel nature of this issue. It seems they are supporting the issue as if it's a problem on my end, as if some setting or cookie issue or local data cache is the problem. Well, in my opinion we didn't all just coincidentally start having the same problems simultaneously. That doesn't totally eliminate the possibility that their troubleshooting steps could work, but it casts doubt as to whether they're approaching the issue from the right angle. I don't have time to be their guinea pig, especially when I've already mitigated the issues and returned to business as usual.

Maybe someone else wants to try their suggested fix and let us know how it goes, but I just do not have time to do it right now.

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Tata Consultancy Services Ltd is the garbage-tier 3rd-party support company who Microsoft contracts to sift through their support tickets.

The folks I've interacted with at Tata are always exceptionally kind and patient, and some of them are fairly knowledgeable, but they don't have the resources to deal with these sorts of highly nuanced and entirely novel issues.

It's probably not even their fault. Maybe it's merely the difference between 3rd-party support vs. real Microsoft support engineers. I've had the pleasure of dealing with a Microsoft support engineer and they are great.

And I think my screenshare was with an actual Microsoft support engineer, but now it seems they've passed the baton back to Tata.

Guess I'll eat my words if the troubleshooting steps that Tata suggested and which I've ignored thus far turn out to be the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, in my opinion we didn't all just coincidentally start having the same problems simultaneously. That doesn't totally eliminate the possibility that their troubleshooting steps could work, but it casts doubt as to whether they're approaching the issue from the right angle. I don't have time to be their guinea pig, especially when I've already mitigated the issues and returned to business as usual.

Yeah, they need to look at this thread and understand that something randomly broke one day for multiple users and the fix is likely not on our end. And most of us paying customers already lose a lot of time with Power Automate's "quirks" to also spend time showing them what they need to debug on their own systems.

cortese98
Helper I
Helper I

Same issues people are reporting here. Anyone have an update? 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Tuesday Tips: Community Ranks and YOU

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!This Week: Community Ranks--Moving from "Member" to "Community Champion"   Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? What sets apart an Advocate from a Helper, or a Solution Sage from a Community Champion? In today’s #TuesdayTip, we’re unveiling the secrets and sharing tips to help YOU elevate your ranking—and why it matters to our vibrant communities. Community ranks serve as a window into a member’s role and activity. They celebrate your accomplishments and reveal whether someone has been actively contributing and assisting others. For instance, a Super User is someone who has been exceptionally helpful and engaged. Some ranks even come with special permissions, especially those related to community management. As you actively participate—whether by creating new topics, providing solutions, or earning kudos—your rank can climb. Each time you achieve a new rank, you’ll receive an email notification. Look out for the icon and rank name displayed next to your username—it’s a badge of honor! Fun fact: Your Community Engagement Team keeps an eye on these ranks, recognizing the most passionate and active community members. So shine brightly with valuable content, and you might just earn well-deserved recognition! Where can you see someone’s rank? When viewing a post, you’ll find a member’s rank to the left of their name.Click on a username to explore their profile, where their rank is prominently displayed. What about the ranks themselves? New members start as New Members, progressing to Regular Visitors, and then Frequent Visitors.Beyond that, we have a categorized system: Kudo Ranks: Earned through kudos (teal icons).Post Ranks: Based on your posts (purple icons).Solution Ranks: Reflecting your solutions (green icons).Combo Ranks: These orange icons combine kudos, solutions, and posts. The top ranks have unique names, making your journey even more exciting! So dive in, collect those kudos, share solutions, and let’s see how high you can rank!  🌟 🚀   Check out the Using the Community boards in each of the communities for more helpful information!  Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Users online (6,173)