cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joelzehring
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Unable to access browser's local storage. Some features such as undo or redo might not work until you clear browser's data

Recently, Power Automate has started to display a warning banner when editing a flow:

"Unable to access browser's local storage. Some features such as undo or redo might not work until you clear browser's data."

After clearing browser cache and other stored data, this warning still appears.

This coincides with an issue where Running a child flow fails because the instant trigger does not have access to location data.

Anyone else receive this warning?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Guys, due to this bug, you may find that some button-triggered flows suddenly have their intrinsic location properties as required inputs, causing the "Run a Child Flow" action to not run and the Parent flow to fail. For me, this has only happened with Child flows that I've just edited. Not every edited child flow behaves this way, but for me ONLY those I've edited since the bug appeared seem to be capable of exhibiting this behavior. The "Run a Child Flow" action in the Parent flow will look something like this:

HEATFreight_0-1649687337449.png

The workaround is easy! For any affected flow, simply edit all Parent flows which run that particular Child flow, and put a 1 or something arbitrary in each of those unwanted required fields. You can make it work for the time being simply by giving each of them a value:

HEATFreight_1-1649687492084.png

As far as I can see, the bug seems to be mostly superficial once you've dealt with this issue.

You may have trouble with the function editor, in which case you can just write out the function in a Notepad window using @{function()} notation, then paste the entire curly-bracketed code directly into the field.

I have also observed some weird stuff going on in Power Apps starting at the same time this bug began affecting things, but that may be entirely coincidental.

tl;dr: The two main impacts of the bug that I have observed both have easy workarounds, bolded above.

View solution in original post

The error message may be irrelevant. I have learned to just ignore it. The only major issue is that some child flows now have required input fields for their intrinsic location parameters, which you can fix by inputting arbitrary values.

As far as I can see, you can safely ignore the yellow error message about clearing your cache. Clearing your cache will not fix anything in the experience of those posting in this thread.

Certain actions will break if you try to use the function editor, so you directly paste the @{function()} notation instead of editing the formula in the editor.

Other than the function editor breaking and child flow calls breaking, I have not noticed any other major symptoms of this issue.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
kiki_515
Regular Visitor

Same here, this first time I encountered such error too 🙂 and anyone can help to advice  how to resolve it? Clearing browser cache, download & history done, but still same warning, I can't edit my flow now...haiz...

BelindaBosman
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yes, same here. Very annoying.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has recently started happening to me too. Clearing browser data doesn't fix it.

Jsalaz1989_2-1649415643260.png

Also coincides with the issue when running a child flow. With experimental features turned off or on, the manual trigger appears to have all these metadata parameters (which are not explicitly established in the child flow):

Jsalaz1989_0-1649415466889.png

In addition, with experimental features turned on, when I try to dynamically select a variable, the action collapses into an error:

Jsalaz1989_1-1649415621917.png

FWIW, with experimental features turned off, it appears to at least let me select a variable dynamically.

EDIT: It's not consistent among flows. Some of them only mark a few of the 'extraneous' parameters as required:

Jsalaz1989_0-1649664981812.png

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Same thing happening to me! Reset Edge cache with default setting and "all time". Did not fix the problem, but sure as heck was a nightmare to relaunch Edge with probably hundreds of tabs logged into various O365 junk.

I lost all my context! And every focused O365 tab in every window and some of the not-focused tabs as well ask for login creds. But once logged in you can use the browser's back button on extraneous login pages and refresh the content with newly cached credentials, however some tabs get stuck on a login page and the previous URL is lost! Unrelated I know, but really unfortunate side effect of being ADHD and following Microsoft's instructions that they link to in the error:


Unable to access browser's local storage. Some features such as undo or redo might not work until you clear browser's data.Learn more

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2186936

It seems like all my flows are affected. Even flows which are not Parent or Child flows are affected.

I'm even seeing this affecting flows both within Solutions and flows built outside of Solutions.

jmarinuk
Helper I
Helper I

I've also just started seeing this message this week.  Clearing the cache/browsing history has not helped.  I'm using Edge as my primary browser at work.

JWiden297
Regular Visitor

I'm also getting this message when trying to edit any Flow on my primary Edge profile. However, if I switch to a different profile or incognito tab I do not. Have tried clearing cookies/cache and restarting to no avail. 

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

More strange behavior like what @Anonymous was seeing...

I have Parent/Child flows failing for broken input schemas, but my Child flow input schemas are all single text inputs (which contain the JSON string of the data I want to pass from Parent flow to Child flow). It's literally looking for exactly one input. But now –only on certain Child flows– I see these extra input fields coming out of nowhere:

HEATFreight_0-1649446627166.png

I also saw a variation of the collapsed action error when I was trying to edit the formula for the input of a Select action. The mitigation is to directly paste the code using @{function()} notation instead of using the formula editor.

HEATFreight_0-1649460547654.png

larmccoy42
Frequent Visitor

I have seen the same error.  It appears to happen in Chrome, both with and without Ingnito mode.  I've also seen this error in Edge one all of my profiles.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No response from Microsoft? This seems to be happening suddenly and to a lot of people, and really messes with the development of flows. It'd be nice to get someone to at least officially acknowledge this...

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Guys, due to this bug, you may find that some button-triggered flows suddenly have their intrinsic location properties as required inputs, causing the "Run a Child Flow" action to not run and the Parent flow to fail. For me, this has only happened with Child flows that I've just edited. Not every edited child flow behaves this way, but for me ONLY those I've edited since the bug appeared seem to be capable of exhibiting this behavior. The "Run a Child Flow" action in the Parent flow will look something like this:

HEATFreight_0-1649687337449.png

The workaround is easy! For any affected flow, simply edit all Parent flows which run that particular Child flow, and put a 1 or something arbitrary in each of those unwanted required fields. You can make it work for the time being simply by giving each of them a value:

HEATFreight_1-1649687492084.png

As far as I can see, the bug seems to be mostly superficial once you've dealt with this issue.

You may have trouble with the function editor, in which case you can just write out the function in a Notepad window using @{function()} notation, then paste the entire curly-bracketed code directly into the field.

I have also observed some weird stuff going on in Power Apps starting at the same time this bug began affecting things, but that may be entirely coincidental.

tl;dr: The two main impacts of the bug that I have observed both have easy workarounds, bolded above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HEATFreight, thanks for posting the workarounds. I also came to the same conclusion regarding the first workaround, but it's forcing me to litter my flows with all that crap. I suppose it's better than just waiting for MS to fix this, but they really should get on it...

I noticed that the so-called "extraneous" parameters are deceptively required, despite the missing red asterisk!

I only have a couple affected Child flows across two environments. In my Dev environment, all those location fields show up as required (red asterisk). In my Prod environment, only the first field has a red asterisk. However, I get the same error for the Parent flow "Run a child flow" action in the Prod and Dev environments, unless I arbitrarily fill in ALL of those location fields, red asterisk or not.

I recall that environments have some kind of production vs. sandbox sort of setting. So it would seem that environments using the "production environment" setting are erroneously showing those fields as extraneous (on top of erroneously showing them at all).

Hope they fix this soon, but wonder if the workaround will break things after the fix? Hopefully whatever fix they deploy will deal with that.

In the absence of a solution from Microsoft, your post gets the nod as the solution to this issue. The same worked for us. Turning off Experimental Features also seems to have improved stability somewhat in the flow editor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like Microsoft still needs to weigh in on this.

@HEATFreight's workarounds are essentially just that...workarounds. We can't be developing flows by adding 1's to parameters that shouldn't be there. Keep in mind that if we continue doing so, and Microsoft eventually fixes the issue, a lot of those flows with the then-uneccessary 1's are going to start breaking no? And I don't even want to think about how that will affect any flows that have been sent over to production with those extraneous parameters.

Keep in mind that if we continue doing so, and Microsoft eventually fixes the issue, a lot of those flows with the then-uneccessary 1's are going to start breaking no?

Yes, exactly this! Will they roll back the arbitrary data we used as inputs to fix the workaround? What could those possibly break? If you actually use those intrinsic location parameters for something, then inputting arbitrary data probably breaks your logic. Or even like in my case if you don't use the intrinsic location parameters for anything at all, something still might break after this issue has been resolved on the Power Automate side.

I have an ongoing support ticket and I keep asking them to reply to this thread with their suggestions, but I think that's crossing the streams. The Microsoft folks who would reply here are probably not the same as those who handle support tickets, most of whom are actually 3rd-party contractors not employed directly by Microsoft.

Here's the last communication I received in the email thread for my support ticket:

I hope you are having a good start of the week. 

My name is _____, I am one of the supervisors of the Power Apps and Power Automate team.

In this instance, I am contacting you, as I would like to schedule a call so we can review together the current state of your case, so we can reach a resolution as soon as possible and clarify any further questions.

What is your availability? My working hours go from 1 PM until 10 PM EST.

I will be waiting for your reply

Every time they ask me to get on yet another call with them, I reject their request and ask that they email or post the fix here. I've already been on a 1 to 2 hour screenshare with them where I showed a support engineer all the symptoms of the issue. Why can't the solution be emailed? Why would I have to schedule another call/screenshare? Honestly Microsoft's 3rd-party contractor support company has no idea what they are doing except for the most basic of issues.

And before that last email here are the troubleshooting steps they recommended:

I hope this email finds you well

I want you try the following troubleshooting steps, to see if this can mitigate the issue, please review the following document:

Troubleshooting startup issues for Power Apps - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs(section: Enable storage of third-party cookies and local data in your browser or app).
You have steps for multiple browsers / operative systems.

After you enabled the storage of third-party cookies and local data, please also follow the steps from the section "Configure Trust Zones for Internet Explorer" - Option 1. The settings defined on Internet Explorer affect multiple things in your local machine, even if you are not using Internet Explorer or Edge as your default browser.

This action plan have worked for other customers before with similar issues, please let me know regards your findings,

Our customers’ satisfaction is paramount to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have further concerns or queries regarding this case.

Rest assured that we will provide you with the necessary support you deserve.

Here is the hyperlink from that message: Troubleshooting startup issues for Power Apps - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

I gotta be honest, I have not really looked into this at all and have definitely not tried to follow their advice, because I think they are wrong and I do not believe their suggestion takes into account the novel nature of this issue. It seems they are supporting the issue as if it's a problem on my end, as if some setting or cookie issue or local data cache is the problem. Well, in my opinion we didn't all just coincidentally start having the same problems simultaneously. That doesn't totally eliminate the possibility that their troubleshooting steps could work, but it casts doubt as to whether they're approaching the issue from the right angle. I don't have time to be their guinea pig, especially when I've already mitigated the issues and returned to business as usual.

Maybe someone else wants to try their suggested fix and let us know how it goes, but I just do not have time to do it right now.

HEATFreight
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Tata Consultancy Services Ltd is the garbage-tier 3rd-party support company who Microsoft contracts to sift through their support tickets.

The folks I've interacted with at Tata are always exceptionally kind and patient, and some of them are fairly knowledgeable, but they don't have the resources to deal with these sorts of highly nuanced and entirely novel issues.

It's probably not even their fault. Maybe it's merely the difference between 3rd-party support vs. real Microsoft support engineers. I've had the pleasure of dealing with a Microsoft support engineer and they are great.

And I think my screenshare was with an actual Microsoft support engineer, but now it seems they've passed the baton back to Tata.

Guess I'll eat my words if the troubleshooting steps that Tata suggested and which I've ignored thus far turn out to be the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, in my opinion we didn't all just coincidentally start having the same problems simultaneously. That doesn't totally eliminate the possibility that their troubleshooting steps could work, but it casts doubt as to whether they're approaching the issue from the right angle. I don't have time to be their guinea pig, especially when I've already mitigated the issues and returned to business as usual.

Yeah, they need to look at this thread and understand that something randomly broke one day for multiple users and the fix is likely not on our end. And most of us paying customers already lose a lot of time with Power Automate's "quirks" to also spend time showing them what they need to debug on their own systems.

cortese98
Helper I
Helper I

Same issues people are reporting here. Anyone have an update? 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating a New Season of Super Users with Charles Lamanna, CVP Microsoft Business Applications

February 8 was the kickoff to the 2024 Season One Super User program for Power Platform Communities, and we are thrilled to welcome back so many returning Super Users--as well as so many brand new Super Users who started their journey last fall. Our Community Super Users are the true heroes, answering questions, providing solutions, filtering spam, and so much more. The impact they make on the Communities each day is significant, and we wanted to do something special to welcome them at our first kickoff meeting of the year.   Charles Lamanna, Microsoft CVP of Business Applications, has stressed frequently how valuable our Community is to the growth and potential of Power Platform, and we are honored to share this message from him to our 2024 Season One Super Users--as well as anyone who might be interested in joining this elite group of Community members.     If you want to know more about Super Users, check out these posts for more information today:    Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

February 2024 User Group Update: Welcoming New Groups and Highlighting Upcoming Events

It's a new month and a brand-new year, which means another opportunity to celebrate our amazing User Groups!Each month, we highlight the new User Groups that have joined the community. It's been a busy season for new groups, because we are thrilled to welcome 15 New User Groups! Take a look at the list below, shared by the different community categories. If your group is listed here, give this post a kudo so we can celebrate with you!   We love our User Groups and the difference they make in the lives of our Community! Thank you to all the new User Groups, new User Group leaders--we look forward to hearing about your successes and the impact you will leave!   In addition to our monthly User Group spotlight, it's a great time to share some of the latest events happening in our User Group community! Take a look at the list below to find one that fits your schedule and need! There's a great combination of in-person and virtual events to choose from. Also, don't forget to review the many events happening near you or virtually! It's a great time of year to connect and engage with User Groups both locally and online. Please Welcome Our NEW User Groups   Power Platform: Heathcare Power Platform User Group Power Platform Connect Hub Power Platform Usergroup Denmark Mexico Norte- Power Platform User Group Pune Power User Group Sudbury Power Platform User GroupMicrosoft User Group GhanaMPPBLR - Microsoft Power Platform Bengaluru User Group Power Apps:   Myrtle Beach Power Platform User GroupAnanseTechWB PowerApps Copilot Studio: Pathfinders Power Platform Community Dynamics365: Cairo, Egypt MSD 365 Business Central/NAV/F&O User GruopMS Dynamics 365 Business Central LatamCincinnati OH D365 F&O User Group February User Group Events February 2024 Cleveland Power Platform User GroupPortallunsj - Februar 2024Indiana D365/AX February User Group MeetingQ1 2024 KC Power Platform and Dynamics 365 CRM Users Group 

January 2024 Community Newsletter

Welcome to our January Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members. If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements in each Community and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date in 2024 with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.      COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, giving (and receiving!) kudos, and consistently providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, make it your New Year's Resolution to be more active in the community in 2024.   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzWarrenBelzPstork1saudali_25LaurensMPstork1stephenrobertLucas001AARON_ClbendincpaytonSurendran_RANBNived_NambiarMariamPaulachanNikhil2JmanriqueriosANBJupyter123rodger-stmmbr1606Agniusstevesmith27mandelaPhineastrice602AnnaMoyalanOOlashynBCLS776grantjenkinsExpiscornovusJcookSpongYeAARON_CManishSolankiapangelesPstork1ManishSolankiSanju1Fubar   LATEST NEWS Power Platform 2024 Release Wave Highlights This month saw the 2024 Release Wave 1 plans for Microsoft Power Platform and Microsoft Dynamics 365- a compilation of new capabilities planned for release between April and September 2024. Click here to read Corporate Vice President Maureen (Mo) Osborne's detailed breakdown of the upcoming capabilities, and click the image below to check out some of the Power Platform 2024 Release Wave 1 highlights.     "What's New" Power Platform Shorts Series This month we also launched our brand-new 'Power Shorts' series on YouTube - a selection of super sweet snapshots to keep you in the loop with all the latest trends from across the Power Platform and beyond. Click the image below to check out the entire playlist so far, and don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for all the latest updates.   Super User In Training (S.U.I.T) It was great to see the Power Platform Community officially kick off Season One of their Super User in Training (SUIT) program this month! Their first meeting saw an amazing turnout of over 300 enthusiastic participants who started their dynamic journey toward becoming Super Users. Huge thanks to Manas Maheshwari, Eric Archer, Heather Hernandez, and Duane Montague for a fantastic kick-off. The first meeting also saw seasoned Super User, Drew Poggemann, share invaluable insights on navigating the #MicrosoftCommunity with finesse. Many thanks to Drew for setting the stage and emphasizing the importance of active engagement and the art of providing thoughtful community solutions. If you want to learn more about the features and benefits of gaining Super User status, click the image below to find out more, and watch this space for more info about Season Two and how you can SUIT UP in the community!     UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft 365 Community Day - Miami - February 1-2, 2024 It's not long now until the Microsoft 365 Community Day Miami, which will be taking place at the Wolfson Campus at Miami Dade College on 1-2 Feb. 2024. This free event is all about unlocking the full potential of Power Platform, Microsoft 365, and AI, so whether you’re a tech enthusiast, a business owner, or just curious about the latest Microsoft advancements, #M365Miami is for you.   The event is completely free and there will sessions in both English and Spanish to celebrate the vibrant and diverse make-up of our amazing community. Click the image below to join this amazing Community Day in Miami and become a part of our incredible network of learners and innovators!     Microsoft Fabric - Las Vegas - March 26-28, 2024 Exciting times ahead for the inaugural #MicrosoftFabric Community Conference on March 26-28 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. And if you book now, you can save $100 off registration! The Microsoft Fabric Conference will cover all the latest in analytics, AI, databases, and governance across 150+ sessions.   There will be a special Community Lounge onsite, interactive learning labs, plus you'll be able to 'Ask the Experts' all your questions to get help from data, analytics, and AI specialists, including community members and the Fabric Customer Advisory Team. Just add the code MSCUST when registering for a $100 discount today. Click the image below to find out more about the ultimate learning event for Microsoft Fabric!     Microsoft 365 Conference - Orlando - April 30 - May 2, 2024 Have you added The Microsoft 365 Conference to your community calendar yet? It happens this April 30th - May 2nd in Orlando, Florida. The 2024 Microsoft 365 Conference is one of the world’s largest gatherings of Microsoft engineers and community, with a strong focus on Power Platform, SharePoint, Azure, and the transition to an AI-powered modern workplace.   Click the image link below to find out more and be prepared to be enlightened, educated, and inspired at #M365Conf24!   LATEST COMMUNITY BLOG ARTICLES Power Apps Community Blog Power Automate Community Blog Copilot Studio Community Blog Power Pages Community Blog Check out 'Using the Community' for more helpful tips and information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, Power Pages  

Super Users 2024 Season One is Here!

We are excited to announce the first season of our 2024 Super Users is here! Our kickoff to the new year welcomes many returning Super Users and several new faces, and it's always exciting to see the impact these incredible individuals will have on the Community in 2024! We are so grateful for the daily difference they make in the Community already and know they will keep staying engaged and excited for all that will happen this year.   How to Spot a Super User in the Community:Have you ever written a post or asked for help in the Community and had it answered by a user with the Super User icon next to their name? It means you have found the actual, real-life superheroes of the Power Platform Community! Super Users are our heroes because of the way they consistently make a difference in the Community. Our amazing Super Users help keep the Community a safe place by flagging spam and letting the Community Managers know about issues. They also make the Community a great place to find answers, because they are often the first to offer solutions and get clarity on questions. Finally, Super Users share valuable insights on ways to keep the Community growing, engaging, and looking ahead!We are honored to reveal the new badges for this season of Super Users! Congratulations to all the new and returning Super Users!     To better answer the question "What is a Super User?" please check out this article: Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

Did You Attend the Microsoft Power Platform Conference in 2022 or 2023? Claim Your Badge Today!

If you were one of the thousands of people who joined us at the first #MPPC Microsoft Power Platform Conference in 2022 in Orlando--or attended the second-annual conference in Las Vegas in 2023--we are excited to honor you with a special community badge! Show your support for #MPPC Microsoft Power Platform Conference this year by claiming your badge!           Just follow this link to claim your badge for attending #MPPC in 2022 and/or 2023: MPPCBadgeRequest    Want to earn your badge for 2024? Just keep watching our News & Announcements for the latest updates on #MPPC24.

Microsoft Power Platform | 2024 Release Wave 1 Plan

Check out the latest Microsoft Power Platform release plans for 2024!   We have a whole host of exciting new features to help you be more productive, enhance delegation, run automated testing, build responsive pages, and so much more.    Click the links below to see not only our forthcoming releases, but to also try out some of the new features that have recently been released to market across:     Power Apps  Power Automate  Copilot Studio   We can’t wait to share with you all the upcoming releases that will help take your Power Platform experience to the next level!    Check out the entire Release Wave: Power Platform Complete Release Planner 

Users online (2,172)