Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NielsL
Helper V
Helper V

Update Client Secret for Service Principal

Hi, 

We are using a Service Principal for all of our background flows, as suggested here by @DavidYack

Is it possible to update the client secret for the service principal somewhere, e.g. when it expires or is reset?

It does not seem possible to update the Service Principal connection details from the Connection Details screen. When you hit the Switch Account button nothing happens:

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
skyovi
Microsoft
Microsoft

@NielsL  Are flows are failing if the client secret is expired?  

I am also looking for a solution for this.  what is the impact to existing running flows if the client secret is expired and don't reconfigure the connection?

@skyovi I don't know as we are not at that point - yet. 

The case is, that we need to reset the password for the Service Principal, as I would like to use that account for the some other connectors where you need to login. However, I'm not sure if resetting the password will also reset the client secret. 

Moreover, I'm not sure when the client secret actually expires. I have no idea if an expired client secret will break all flows - but I would be nice to be prepared. 

Go to the azure portal and open the app registration.  You should be able to see the expiration date on the secret.

if your secret is expired and you need to create a new one, there is an option to have it never expire.

Thanks for the input @NewcombR. That could definitely by a solution.

I'm just wondering what to do if it is not viable to have it never expire for security reasons. At some point you would then need to update the client secret in Power Automate. Otherwise, you would probably have to create a new service principal and update the connection for all the the affected flows - which seems like a lot of unnecessary work. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Users online (60,355)