cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric6
Level: Powered On

Update Item action for SharePoint - keep field values unchanged

Hi,

I've created a flow working on a Sharepoint list in which I often need to change only one field (Approval Status) while keeping the values in all the other fields unchanged. Several fields for my list item are mandatory. Currently, I cannot leave them empty in the "Update item" action, so that I link them to their own current value via dynamic content.

Is this really required, or is there a better way? The same applies to drop-down choices which will take on the value of the first option if I do not force them to their own current value via dynamic content.

Somebody must have come across the same challenge I suppose...

Best regards,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Update Item action for SharePoint - keep field values unchanged

@Eric6 

Unfortunately that is required

If you need to avoid that scenario, use send an http action to sharepoint and update the item rather than using the update item action

Example: https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/07/02/microsoft-flow-update-a-list-item-with-a-people-field-using-rest-a...

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Eric6 

Unfortunately that is required

If you need to avoid that scenario, use send an http action to sharepoint and update the item rather than using the update item action

Example: https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/07/02/microsoft-flow-update-a-list-item-with-a-people-field-using-rest-a...

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Hi  

For the mandatory fields the way is what you're doing.
For the drop-down options and lookups you need to check 'Enter custom value'. Marking this SharePoint will not update this fields

For a while I think this is the best way

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Gustavo Moraes, o astronauta brasileiro do Flow!

Gristy
Level 10

what your doing is correct - thankfully there is copy to clipboard now so if you have a lot of update actions it saves a heap of time with complex metadata!

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Eric6 ,

The test result on my side is that if you only want to update a field, then you only need to configure the Title field and Approval status field. The other fields do nothing.

Update item action will only update the fields you have filled in the corresponding data.

You can see this detail in the Body of the Flow run history-Update item action. It only contains the properties of the fields you configured and does not actively update other unconfigured fields.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Eric6
Level: Powered On

Barry,

I think in your list "Title" may be the only mandatory field, and you do not have any fields with drop-down options.

The issue only occurs with these two types of fields. For non-mandatory field to fill in values it is correct that Sharepoint will leave the values unchanged if there they are empty. However, it is not possible to leave mandatory fields empty, so we have to pull in the current value as dynamic choice.

This may be an improvement area, as the answers indicate my workaround is the usual way. I liked the hint to the HTTP action as a different solution. Then again, the most obvious choice is "Update Item" and it should be made a bit easier.

Best regards,

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,545)