cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
JennC
Helper I
Helper I

Update List View to Remove Column via Send an HTTP request to SharePoint

Hi all, I already have a flow that creates a new column heading in my SharePoint document library and adds it to the All Documents view, but I'd like to modify this flow (or create an entirely new flow) that will remove an existing column from the All Documents view, is this possible? A screenshot of how to do this would be much appreciated, thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @JennC,

 

You could use the removeViewField method for this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/sharepoint-visio/jj244935(v=office.15)

 

Below is an example in Power Automate

 

URI

_api/web/lists/getbytitle('@{variables('ListName')}')/Views('@{variables('ViewId')}')/ViewFields/removeViewField

 

Headers

{
  "Accept": "application/json;odata=verbose",
  "Content-Type": "application/json;odata=verbose"
}

 

Body

{
"strField": "ExampleField"
}

removefield_restapi.png



Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter


Hi @Expiscornovus, sorry for the late response (long weekend) and thanks so much for the reply! Is it possible to run this using the column name instead of the GUID? I tried to modify to use getbytitle but wasn't successful. Thanks!

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @JennC,

 

In the example I was using the column name. Or do you mean the View Name?

 

columnname.png

 

If you want to retrieve the view by view name you could use a setup like below.

 

_api/web/lists/getbytitle('@{variables('ListName')}')/Views/getbytitle('@{variables('ViewName')}')/ViewFields/removeViewField

 

removeviewfield_getbytitleviewname.png



Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter


@Expiscornovus thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I still can't get the flow to work, I just get the 'Your flow is running' message with the orange timer and it just hangs (run doesn't complete).

 

I'm trying to remove the Version Column from the All Documents View (eventually I will want to remove this column from the All Documents View of all document libraries of all SharePoint sites), below is a screenshot -

 

JennC_0-1667514205991.png

 

I used Power Automate to create my document libraries and add the Version Column (and other columns) to the All Documents View, but I can't seem to remove this column from the View. Thanks!

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @JennC,

 

in the strField value you need to use the internal name of the field. Since this is a Microsoft system column it has a different name, it is actually called _UIVersionString

 

Also use the name of the view without the encoded space character (%20), just use a normal space character.

 

Try something like below

 

_uiversionstring_microsoftfield.png



Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter


Hi @Expiscornovus, I made the suggested changes but unfortunately, it's still not working, any ideas?

 

JennC_1-1667774893168.png

 

 

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @JennC,

 

Can you run a GET ViewFields first and a screenshot of the Results property in the Outputs over here?

 

fieldnames.png

 

This is a good way to check if the basic URI part is ok and also see what the internal names of your fields are.

 

Try the GET request before the POST. 

_api/web/lists/getbytitle('@{variables('ListName')}')/Views/getbytitle('All Documents')/ViewFields

 

getviewfields.png

 



Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter


Hi @Expiscornovus, here is a screenshot of the outputs -

 

JennC_0-1667812415055.png

It's working now with a couple of modifications - 

 

JennC_2-1667812643666.png

 

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate your perseverance!

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @JennC,

 

Ok, great to hear that it works 👍

 

Out of interest, you created your own Version column and did not use the out of the box one from Microsoft? 😁



Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter


Hi @Expiscornovus , it's funny you should ask that! After I posted that last message, I tried running the flow to delete the Version column on a different document library and it didn't work, so I ran the GET (thanks for this nifty tip!) a few more times on various document libraries and realised that ALL of my other document libraries had the _UIVersionString and not _Version column so I ended up changing it back in the flow. I have no idea why this one document library wasn't using the Microsoft Version column, very strange indeed!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,618)